cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Set Identifier (Oracle Intelligent Policy)

backup-botw
Level 6

Is it possible to use something like this in the backup set identifier field of an Oracle Intelligent Policy?

DATE +"%b-%d-%y 

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

These are the RMAN identifiers you can use

%a Current database activation id
%A Zero-filled activation ID
%c The copy number of the backup piece within a set of duplexed backup pieces.bMaximum value is 256
%d Database name
%D Current day of the month from the Gregorian calendar in format DD
%e Archived log sequence number
%f Absolute file number
%F Combines the DBID, day, month, year, and sequence into a unique and repeatable generated name
%h Archived redo log thread number
%I DBID
%M Month in the Gregorian calendar in the format MM
%n Database name, padded on the right with x characters to a total length of eight characters
%N Tablespace name. Only valid when backing up datafiles as image copies.
%p Piece number within the backup set. This value starts at 1 for each backup set and is incremented by 1 for each backup piece created. If a PROXY is specified, the %p variable must be included in the FORMAT string either explicitly or implicitly within %U.
%r Resetlogs ID
%s Backup set number. This number is a counter in the control file that is incremented for each backup set. The counter value starts at 1 and is unique for the lifetime of the control file. If you restore a backup control file, then duplicate values can result. CREATE CONTROLFILE initializes the counter at 1.
%S Zero-filled sequence number
%t Backup set time stamp, a 4-byte value derived as the number of seconds elapsed since a fixed reference time. The combination of %s and %t can be used to form a unique name for the backup set.
%T Year, month, and day in the Gregorian calendar in the format: YYYYMMDD
%u An 8-character name constituted by compressed representations of the backup set or image copy number and the time the backup set or image copy was created
%U A system-generated unique filename (default). %U is different for image copies and backup pieces. For a backup piece, %U is a shorthand for %u_%p_%c and guarantees uniqueness in generated backup filenames. For an image copy of a datafile, %U means the following:
data-D-%d_id-%I_TS-%N_FNO-%f_%u
For an image copy of an archived redo log, %U means the following:
arch-D_%d-id-%I_S-%e_T-%h_A-%a_%u
For an image copy of a control file, %U means the following:
cf-D_%d-id-%I_%u
%Y Year in this format: YYYY
%% Percent (%) character. For example, %%Y translates to the string %Y

View solution in original post

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Its configurable in the "Oracle" tab in the Oracle Intelligent Policy - The section is called "Use specified Backup File Name Formats",

Be aware that the format must always end with %t, because it help Netbackup search for Oracle backups.

Fast forward to 7.00:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/new-oracle-intelligent-policy-netbackup-76

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RiaanBadenhorst

These are the RMAN identifiers you can use

%a Current database activation id
%A Zero-filled activation ID
%c The copy number of the backup piece within a set of duplexed backup pieces.bMaximum value is 256
%d Database name
%D Current day of the month from the Gregorian calendar in format DD
%e Archived log sequence number
%f Absolute file number
%F Combines the DBID, day, month, year, and sequence into a unique and repeatable generated name
%h Archived redo log thread number
%I DBID
%M Month in the Gregorian calendar in the format MM
%n Database name, padded on the right with x characters to a total length of eight characters
%N Tablespace name. Only valid when backing up datafiles as image copies.
%p Piece number within the backup set. This value starts at 1 for each backup set and is incremented by 1 for each backup piece created. If a PROXY is specified, the %p variable must be included in the FORMAT string either explicitly or implicitly within %U.
%r Resetlogs ID
%s Backup set number. This number is a counter in the control file that is incremented for each backup set. The counter value starts at 1 and is unique for the lifetime of the control file. If you restore a backup control file, then duplicate values can result. CREATE CONTROLFILE initializes the counter at 1.
%S Zero-filled sequence number
%t Backup set time stamp, a 4-byte value derived as the number of seconds elapsed since a fixed reference time. The combination of %s and %t can be used to form a unique name for the backup set.
%T Year, month, and day in the Gregorian calendar in the format: YYYYMMDD
%u An 8-character name constituted by compressed representations of the backup set or image copy number and the time the backup set or image copy was created
%U A system-generated unique filename (default). %U is different for image copies and backup pieces. For a backup piece, %U is a shorthand for %u_%p_%c and guarantees uniqueness in generated backup filenames. For an image copy of a datafile, %U means the following:
data-D-%d_id-%I_TS-%N_FNO-%f_%u
For an image copy of an archived redo log, %U means the following:
arch-D_%d-id-%I_S-%e_T-%h_A-%a_%u
For an image copy of a control file, %U means the following:
cf-D_%d-id-%I_%u
%Y Year in this format: YYYY
%% Percent (%) character. For example, %%Y translates to the string %Y

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Its configurable in the "Oracle" tab in the Oracle Intelligent Policy - The section is called "Use specified Backup File Name Formats",

Be aware that the format must always end with %t, because it help Netbackup search for Oracle backups.

Fast forward to 7.00:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/videos/new-oracle-intelligent-policy-netbackup-76

backup-botw
Level 6

So basically once you setup the User Specified section the backup identifier piece is no longer used?

Thanks for all the information.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am not sure I understand what you mean. Oracle Intelligent Polices generate the RCV scripts on the fly. So if you alter the backup identifier selection in Netbackup, those will be used for the next RMAN backup.

backup-botw
Level 6

Inside an Oracle Intelligent Policy you have a checkbox in the User Specified Backup File Name Formats section for Specify backup file name formats. This included For Datafiles:, For Archived redo logs:, For Control file: and For FRA:. What I meant with my previous question is by checking this box and using these options does that basically null whatever you have put in the Backup set identifier section or is this piece of the Oracle tab just the precursor for all of the options in the User Specified Backup File Name Formats section? I dont quite understand how the two mix or dont mix is what I am looking for.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

First of all the "Use specifued backup file name formats" as a oddity. What you see is default "out of the box" values, you actual has to change to somthing diffrent than default for the check box to remain "checkmarked". However standart values are really good.

When you mention  "Backup set identifier" - is that in the RMAN RCV scripts. I am trying to understand what you have in mind, but feeling like a noob :-0

RiaanBadenhorst

Just stick with the user specified backup file name formats. The identifier is more of a tag and I don't see what the point is if you've already specified the format.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes for sure - leave the "User specify backup file name formats" to default (grey out - not check marked). 

I talked to a senior DBA about the defaults and they are well considered.

backup-botw
Level 6

Awesome...thank you both for your responses.