cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup from different ip address of Mater Server

Sabarna_Deb
Level 3

Hi All,

If master server is having two ip address Ex:- One ip address for production and another ip address for management purpose but hostname is same. If for only one client i want to take backup through management ip address of backup server in Netbackup. How i can set?????

-Sabarna Deb

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to define a hostname for second IP address.

NBU needs to resolve hostname to IP address. If there are two IP's for same hostname, how should it know which interface/IP to use for backups?

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54733

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6

You need to define a hostname for second IP address.

NBU needs to resolve hostname to IP address. If there are two IP's for same hostname, how should it know which interface/IP to use for backups?

See this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH54733

Sabarna_Deb
Level 3

If both network with respective ip address is different. I mean to say how can i backing up a client which is residing in different network from second ip address of master server? Is there any option in netbackup? I am doing in my current backup enviroment using another backup tool. Just wanted to know in netbackup.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

The client must have a route through to the master.

I suspect the config will be something like this :

Master has two interfaces.

master-man

master-bak

On the one client, you wish to backup through the 'man' interface, you would specify this interfacte as the SERVER entry in the bp.conf file for this client (or registry if windows).

Next, add master-man as an alias to master-bak in the EMM DB.

BUT...

I suspect the exact details might change depending on what name was used when installing NBU onto the master.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

Each IP address needs a hostname.

See TN that I've posted above for examples.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Other way ...

On the client, you specify SERVER = nbu-bk

In the hosts file of cliebt you add nbu-bk but with the ip address of the nbu-man interface.

Think that would work, not done it for ages, sure Marianne with confirm.

martin

Marianne
Level 6

The Master server needs hostnames for each NIC/IP as well as SERVER entries for both hostnames.

See this example in the TN posted above:

You can also go through these topics in Troubleshooting Guide:

See “Example of host name and service entries on UNIX master server and client” on page 60.
See “Example of host name and service entries on UNIX master server and media server” on page 61.
See “Example of host name and service entries on UNIX PC clients” on page 63.
See “Example of host name and service entries on UNIX clients in multiple networks” on page 64.
See “Example of host name and service entries on UNIX server that connects to multiple networks” on page 66.

Sabarna_Deb
Level 3

What about these option "Use specified network interface" OR "Preferred network." in both Master server and client properties.

Marianne
Level 6

You still need a different hostname for each IP address.

You will put the hostname for the 'network interface' that you want to use by default in the Host Properties.

If you do this for the master you will restrict the Master to one IP only.

See 'Configuring Host Properties' in Admin Guide I for details.

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

The other option that I think is to change the ip address of you master server in the host file entries of your client.

Sabarna_Deb
Level 3

In our enviroment, we are having "Production network" and "Management network". I want to take backup of one of the management client which is having only management network connected. Our backup server is connected to both network having different ip address and same hostname.

Yes Yogesh, i agree. I believe we need to make an entry of backup server's name and management ip address in client's /etc/hosts file and vice-versa in backup server's /etc/hosts file.

rajeshthink
Level 4

Well We had Multiple interface on our master server and the least we did was in bp.conf we add

REQUIRED_INTERFACE =  Host name (do nslookup to ip via you want to take backup).