cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup network external usb disk

vilhena
Level 4

Hello.

I have an external USB disk which is connected to my network. Is there a way for netbackup to backup this device without connecting it to a machine.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vilhena

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What type of filesystem on the drive?

If you can NFS mount it on a Unix client, you should be able to specify the mount point in the client's policy.

If you can access it on a Windows client using a UNC path, you can specify this path in the client's policy. You need to ensure that the NBU Client Service logon account has sufficient read permission to read all files/folders.

Remember to select 'Backup network drives' in policy attributes.

Basically, you will back it up the same way you access it from a desktop/server.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

You did not mention your NBU version or OS?

You can create a basic disk storage unit for a network drive.

See NBU 7 Administrator's Guide for Windows, I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127079

Chapter 10:

A BasicDisk type storage unit consists of a directory on locally-attached disk or
network-attached disk that is exposed as a file system to a NetBackup media
server. NetBackup stores backup data in the specified directory.

Ensure that the NetBackup Services are started as a domain user with write access to the network path.

vilhena
Level 4

The Netbackup version is 7.0.1 and the master is a RHEL 5.

I believe that I was not clear with what I said :)

I actually don't want to mount an external disk as an external storage device, what I want is to backup that external disk. Imagine you have a simple external disk connected to some switch or router, and you want to back it up. Do you know if Netbackup is able to backup this device?

Thanks.

Regards,

Vilhena

Marianne
Level 6

Apologies for the misunderstanding - I thought you wanted to use the USB drive as backup device.

The requirement to back it up is the same - you need a client (or server) to access it as a filesystem.

How would you connect to it from a Windows or Unix machine?

vilhena
Level 4

But imagine, that the disk is only accessible (mountable) through an IP, it's available in the cloud but not directly connected to a client.

I imagine I have to create a policy with the client being that IP address, the problem is that I can't install a netbackup client into a simple media device.

I can connect to it from Windows or Unix.

Thanks.

Regards,

Vilhena

Marianne
Level 6

What type of filesystem on the drive?

If you can NFS mount it on a Unix client, you should be able to specify the mount point in the client's policy.

If you can access it on a Windows client using a UNC path, you can specify this path in the client's policy. You need to ensure that the NBU Client Service logon account has sufficient read permission to read all files/folders.

Remember to select 'Backup network drives' in policy attributes.

Basically, you will back it up the same way you access it from a desktop/server.

vilhena
Level 4

Thanks Marianne.

I'll try the windows option, via UNC path!

Thanks.

Regards,

Vilhena