cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Tape

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

We have been doing standard Backups to disk,  now my company  need to take a full backup from Application on tapes (to archive all files ) . They want Tapes to be send offsite, my company will be picking up the tapes.

How can this be setup in NetBackup so that  tapes are pulled for the full backup to be sent offsite?

I need command - cli - to load tapes to tape drive slot at tape library then unload these tapes to take them offsite

Any help would be appreciated as I'm new to all of this.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

The best way to do this is to use Netbackup Vault to manage the offsite copies. Create your vault storage unit and policy per the Admin guide and thats all you need to do. Netbackup will manage the the tapes, eject the tapes from the robot for you, create reports on which tapes need to be sent offsite and which tapes are expired and will be returning for re-use. This is a perfect solution to what you are looking to accomplish.

Netbackup Vault has been bundled in Netbackup since version 4.5. No additional license is necessary. Ready for you to configure.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

The best way to do this is to use Netbackup Vault to manage the offsite copies. Create your vault storage unit and policy per the Admin guide and thats all you need to do. Netbackup will manage the the tapes, eject the tapes from the robot for you, create reports on which tapes need to be sent offsite and which tapes are expired and will be returning for re-use. This is a perfect solution to what you are looking to accomplish.

Netbackup Vault has been bundled in Netbackup since version 4.5. No additional license is necessary. Ready for you to configure.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

ok but i want to backup data to external tape at tape library ..  and i need a command to load this tape media into tape drive then backup data and unload this tape to take it out offsite using symantec netbackup 7.01 cli or gui ..thanks

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You first need to understand how NBU works - from configuration of devices (robot and tape drives, then the logical entity call Storage Unit), how media is added, volume pools, etc.
Next, how backup policies are created to automatically use/load media in storage unit without using commands/scripts.

Then you can configure the Vault add-on to automatically select backup tapes on a daily basis to eject.

I suggest you book yourself on a 5-day NetBackup training course. You can find available training in your country over here: http://www.symantec.com/training/product_training/detail.jsp?pkid=netbackup

Your second option is to start reading manuals:

NBU Getting Started Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3641

NBU Admin Guide for UNIX and Linux, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3650
NBU Admin Guide for Windows, Volume I  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3653

NBU Vault Admin Guide    http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3682

All NBU 7.1 manuals:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH154178

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

ok ..   thanks for your help and links.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

i want to ask in case of  using Netbackup CLI command to control Tapes instead of Backup policy

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What do you mean by "control tapes" ?

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

All what i want is to put external tape at tape library ,and run command in netbackup to load this tape media into tape drive to start backup to it ...  after that use other command at netbackup to unload this tape and someone go to the tape library and give me this tape ..   that is all the task.

Marianne
Level 6

A backup policy is the 'how', 'what', 'where', 'when' of a backup. The 'where' is the tape library and volume pool.

Please believe me that a backup policy will automatically mount a tape when a backup starts. No need for cli commands to mount tapes.

You cannot use NetBackup to backup data without a policy.

There is a cli utility to mount/dismount tapes, but this is merely provided to TEST robot functionality.

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

I guess the question would be why? Do you have a need to write specific backups to a specific labeled tape? If this is the case Netbackup isn't the product for you. Managing media is one of this products main functions. If you don't mind me asking could you state why it is you need to write to a specific tape? Seems like your asking for an administrative nightmare if you are going to take on the responsibility of a tape librarian on top of your daily routine.

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

hi  Marianne ,

i am really believe you that i must create the policy to do backup ..  but first i want to detect the external tape that i put in to tape library and to know this tape location ,slot,media id , ..  for a special application backup to take this tape off site

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

OK, so now I see you are looking to write to a specific tape. Is this a one time shot or is this your normal routine? Although my curiosity is peaked I'm not going to ask why you need to write to a specific tape. I will say that if this is a one time need you can create a volume pool with this single  tape in it and modify your backup policy to use this volume pool. Once the backup is done you can remove the tape from the library. I do not recommend this as a solution by any means. just a temporary workaround for a single instance. I wouldn't advise using this  in a production environment...

A_M_Ash_
Level 6

we use Netbackup for many application backup ..  but we  need to write specific backups to a specific labeled tape ,as we have  application not alwaysin use any more ,so we want to archive all mounted filesystem that on it to external tape out of tape library in order to  use it if needed -that Is rarely will happen .

Marianne
Level 6

Put that one specific tape in a new, special pool. Specify this pool in the policy. Ensure retention period is long enough.

Eject the tape from the library after the backup.

Jeff_Foglietta
Level 5

Seems to me your complicating this way too much. This is very easily done using Netbackup the way it was intended. Regarding your tapes that specific application backups need to be written to. Are you using barcodes on these tapes? If so you could purchase barcodes with different prefixes for each of the applications you need to back up and need more control over, then:

apply these barcodes to your tapes

inject them into your library

create volume pools to be used for each of your application specific backups

create barcode rules making sure that each prefix will be placed in the correct volume pool during inventory

inventory the robot

change your backup policies to use their respective volume pools

setup Netbackup Vault to eject the tapes when you desire and let Netbackup manage the tapes.