cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bare Metal Restore 6.5

Moeman
Level 4

I am running NetBackup Enterprise 6.5.6 on Windows Server 2003 Standard SP2.  I am trying to configure BMR but I seem to be missing a step or don't know what I'm doing.  I've gone through the admin guide but nowhere do I see a step to actually add the operating system to a shared resource tree.  What am I missing?  At this point I don't understand how NBU knows what OS the client is that I want to restore.

3 REPLIES 3

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Does this help

NBU BMR Guide pg 121 (ver 6.5)

Creating an SRT for Windows
Windows SRTs no longer require the user to supply a version of Windows. The SRTs use a special version of Windows that is shipped with the boot server.
To create a Windows SRT
1 From the Start menu on the Windows BMR boot server that is to host the SRT, select Programs > Veritas NetBackup > Bare Metal Restore Boot Server Assistant. The Bare Metal Restore Boot Server Assistant appears.
2 Click Shared Resource Tree Administration Wizard. The Shared Resource Tree Administration wizard appears.
3 Select the option to create a shared resource tree. Then follow the prompts to create a shared resource tree. You must provide the following information:
Name. The name of the SRT also is used for the directory that contains it. Only alphanumeric characters and the underscore (_) character are allowed.
Description.
Location for the SRT.
Path to the NetBackup client software image.

Regards,

Martin

Moeman
Level 4

Interesting!  This thing is smarter than I give it credit for.  Guess I'll have to do some testing to see if it even works.  Thanks.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It does work ...  It can even recover to dis-similiar hardware (windows and linux) but this can sometimes be a bit tricky to get to work.

I use it on one of my test servers that I do silly things to ...  Kick off the BMR recovery, and 30 mins later system is completey recovered.

M