cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boot server linux instalation

Carlos_Santos_T
Level 3
      Hi all!

I installing a boot server linux, but i can't configure a new dhcp server in my network, does have some way to configure a linux boot server without configure the dhcpd deamon?

2 REPLIES 2

skarve
Level 4
Certified
Hi,
   It is not importnant that dhcp should be running Just the presence of dhcpd and the configuration file is enough. Even if you try to start dhcp and if it errors out its not an issue.

Thanks
Sumeet.Karve

LuluTchab
Level 2
In fact, you need to have a correct /etc/dhcpd.conf file because when you do a "prepare to restore" on the master server, it try to start the DHCP service on the boot server. And if it fails, the "prepare to restore" returns an error. Here is the workaround I found.

I put a correct "content" in the /etc/dhcpd.conf :
Code:
log-facility local7;ddns-update-style none;ignore unknown-clients;subnet 123.123.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 { default-lease-time 600; max-lease-time 7200; option domain-name "test-bmr.com"; option broadcast-address 123.123.1.255; option domain-name-servers 123.123.15.7,123.123.15.8; option routers 123.123.1.1;}

And I did some modification to the /etc/init.d/dhcpd file in "start" section like the following :
Code:
start() { return 0 # Start daemons.# echo -n $"Starting $prog: "# daemon /usr/sbin/dhcpd ${DHCPDARGS}# RETVAL=$—# echo# [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ] && touch /var/lock/subsys/dhcpd # return $RETVAL}

I think it's possible to not use the /etc/dhcpd.conf file by doing others modification in /etc/init.d/dhcpd file but I don't have time to do this.

regards