cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Browse for Virtual Machines

MohitK
Level 4

We are running NBU7.0.1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 Server. Till yesterday VM backups using vStorage was working great. All of the sudden they have started failing with error code 13. After reading around a bit, I tried to refresh the vm list on the master server and now I can't see any ESX information on NBU. When trying to Browse for VMs, i get error 255. Please see attached images and bpfis log file.

If I put the cached file back into D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl, it will show me the ESX structure but backups still fail with error code 13. When cached files are removed, no information is retrieved at all.

Have anyone else has experienced same issue? How to resolve this??

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

MK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MohitK
Level 4

Right I finally found out what the problem was. I had couple of Lab Manager VMs which had incorrectly configured Network Interfaces, Network Label read N/A. I had to add one esx host at a time to "credentials" and try browsing for VMs. Then checked each VM on the host that error'd out and found that network interface was causing the problem. Removed NIC from each VM causing issue and re-add the VC server to the credentials and browsed the VMs without any issues. And VM backups also work.

Thanks for your input.

Mohit

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SvenKessler
Level 4

Hello,

i think you have entered the VC Center Server under "Credentials > Virtual Machine Servers"

What happens if you delete this entry and when you enter a ESX Server directly instead of the VC Center Server? I know that is not a good solution but a first step to find the error.

We had the same problem. With VC Center Server we got error 13, with ESX Server we got the machine names back. Our problem dissapeard after we moved from our old netbackup server to a new installtion.

Best regards

Sven

MohitK
Level 4

Sven

Under credentials, if i specify vc server, no information is obtained but if i specify an esx host, it retrieves the machine names. However i still get an error (255) when trying to refresh the vm list and also vm backup jobs fail with error 13

Cheers

M

SvenKessler
Level 4

Hello,

so you have now only specified one ESX Server under credentials and still get the error 13 when refreshing the vm list? But you also said you now retrieves the machine names. Where in the netbackup client do you retrieve the machine names? Did you delete the cached files in online_util\fi_cntl ?

Best regards

Sven

AbdulRasheed
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to set vmcloglevel to 5 or 6, retry the browse and look at the resulting bpVMutil log. It will give you more info as to what is going on.

Warm regards,

Rasheed

MohitK
Level 4

Hi, yes thats right. I removed VC server from the credentials and added an ESX host. Then removed the cached files from online_util\fi_cntl. So next when I tried to browse for VMs, 2 new files were created in online_util\fi_cntl, 1) servername.xml and 2) vcbnames_servername_any. These files actually contained information about the esx host and vms that are running on it. Hence I was able to browse for vm and add to a backup policy. However the backup job still failed with error 13.

Thanks

Mohit

MohitK
Level 4

Found something interesting. We have got 8 esx host. I added 2 at time under credentials and tried to browse for vms using hosts rather VC. Out of 8 hosts, 3 hosts errors out while searching for VMs. So my guess is that we i use VC, because it is unable to retrieve information from one of the hosts, whole process actually halts and returns no info to NBU. Next thing would be to figure out while VM information is not being retrieved from these hosts.

What should I be looking at?

SvenKessler
Level 4

Hello,

this was exact our problem. We have 12 ESX Servers and find out that two servers caused the vm discovery crash in netbackup if we add them to the credentials page. As i said, our problem went away after moving to a new netbackup server (we did this because we hat other problems)

You could move all the vms from the affected ESX server to the other ones and try to patch the server with the latest fixes. Or reinstall the esx.

Also have a look at this link which we got from the symantec support regarding our problem:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH141502

You can ask the support for the files because our link to the files is outdated.

Best regards

Sven

MohitK
Level 4

Right I finally found out what the problem was. I had couple of Lab Manager VMs which had incorrectly configured Network Interfaces, Network Label read N/A. I had to add one esx host at a time to "credentials" and try browsing for VMs. Then checked each VM on the host that error'd out and found that network interface was causing the problem. Removed NIC from each VM causing issue and re-add the VC server to the credentials and browsed the VMs without any issues. And VM backups also work.

Thanks for your input.

Mohit