cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calendar & Frequency Scheduling

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
I've got a bit of a problem and I thought you might have some insight.  My current configuration is as follows:

Several Windows 2003 Server with NBU 6.0 MP4 Masters (one 6.5.1)

With few exceptions my policies are configured as follows

Full-Weekly Schedule - Frequency - Opens Friday Night at 8:00PM foir 48 hours - Runs Every 3 Days
Full-Monthly Schedule - Calendar - Opens Friday Night at 8:00PMP for 48 hours - Runs last Friday of the month

**NOTE - I know its not a "best practice" to mix frequency and calendar based schduling.

EVERY schedule I define is Frequency except the Full-Monthly which MUST run on the last Friday of the month.  Since the windows open at the same time I have had NO issue getting the monthly to override the weekly when friday night at 8:00PM comes.  I need to add a Full-Quarterly to that schedule.  The quarterly dosen't neccisarrily have to be the FINAL FRIDAY of the 3rd month - but once every 3 months I need a full backup of a few machines that gets kept for a longer period of time.  It would be nice if the full-monthly could become the full-quarterly (not run the full monthly that month.)  Alternately, I was thinking I could manually run a script to change their expieration dates every 90 days.  Any ideas?

I know I saw a note in the admin guide at some point that explained the terms under which what backup overode another.  Does anyone know where that is?  Is it the backup with the longest retention?  Or was it the backup that had run the least frequently?  Any help appreciated.

-Jonathan
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Stumpr2
Level 6

NetBackup System Administrator’s Guide for UNIX, Volume I (5.1) page 165 and 166

Backup Frequency Determines Schedule Priority

If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:

Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups)always get higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one month.

If the NetBackup scheduler encounters a backup policy with two schedules (one full, one incremental) that are each due to run, are each within their defined time window, and are each configured with the same frequency value, the schedule that is alphabetically first will be chosen to run.

For example, NetBackup prioritizes the following three schedules in the order shown:

monthly_full (frequency is one month)

weekly_full (frequency is two weeks)

daily_incremental (frequency is one week)

If all three schedules are due for a client, NetBackup adds the job for the monthly full to the worklist and skips the other two.

For an explanation of how NetBackup prioritizes each backup job that it adds to itsworklist, see “Factors Affecting Backup Time” on page 244.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Stumpr2
Level 6
The window must be set to exactly the same. Then the one that has had the most time elapsed since it last ran successfully will be queued and the others will not.

Stumpr2
Level 6

NetBackup System Administrator’s Guide for UNIX, Volume I (5.1) page 165 and 166

Backup Frequency Determines Schedule Priority

If more than one automatic schedule is due for a client within a policy, the backup frequency determines the schedule that NetBackup uses:

Jobs from the schedule with the lower frequency (longer period between backups)always get higher priority. For example, a schedule with a backup frequency of one year has priority over a schedule with a backup frequency of one month.

If the NetBackup scheduler encounters a backup policy with two schedules (one full, one incremental) that are each due to run, are each within their defined time window, and are each configured with the same frequency value, the schedule that is alphabetically first will be chosen to run.

For example, NetBackup prioritizes the following three schedules in the order shown:

monthly_full (frequency is one month)

weekly_full (frequency is two weeks)

daily_incremental (frequency is one week)

If all three schedules are due for a client, NetBackup adds the job for the monthly full to the worklist and skips the other two.

For an explanation of how NetBackup prioritizes each backup job that it adds to itsworklist, see “Factors Affecting Backup Time” on page 244.