cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I change media IDs in existing BarCode rules?

A_Goode
Level 3
I spent a great deal of time setting up barcode rules to split tapes into various pools.  All these rules are for tapes labeled WR****.  After finishing, I went and took a look at the tapes only to discover the tapes are all labeled WA****.  So now I have two choices.  I either have to recreate all these barcode rules, or I need to find out if there is a way to change the Media IDs that I put into the system.  When you go to edit a barcode rule, you can change media type, mount count, pool assignment, but you can't change the Media ID.  So, is there any way to do this (scripted, file manipulation, etc) or am I going to have to recreate all this?  Thanks for your assistance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If you have not used the tapes, or they have no data on them.

set the tapes to standalone.  Delete them from netbackup. Have your barcode rule set correctly.  Re-inventory the library, and they will come into netbackup as new tapes.

If the tapes have been written to already.
Wait for all images on the tapes to expire.  (time assigned will be blank when they have).
make note of all the tape numbers.
send to standalone.
Delete from netbackup.
Re-inventory library.
They will come in with new Media id's based on your barcode rules.
For all of these tapes you are going to have to re-label the tapes.
Right click tapes, re-label, do NOT check the box to compare the barcode to the written label.
This will then re-write the media id on the BOT to match the barcode.

If you do not re-label and they get new media ids(barcode) then the the next time you try to write to them NB would say that the Barcode and the written media id on the tape don't match and it will not use it.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
If you have not used the tapes, or they have no data on them.

set the tapes to standalone.  Delete them from netbackup. Have your barcode rule set correctly.  Re-inventory the library, and they will come into netbackup as new tapes.

If the tapes have been written to already.
Wait for all images on the tapes to expire.  (time assigned will be blank when they have).
make note of all the tape numbers.
send to standalone.
Delete from netbackup.
Re-inventory library.
They will come in with new Media id's based on your barcode rules.
For all of these tapes you are going to have to re-label the tapes.
Right click tapes, re-label, do NOT check the box to compare the barcode to the written label.
This will then re-write the media id on the BOT to match the barcode.

If you do not re-label and they get new media ids(barcode) then the the next time you try to write to them NB would say that the Barcode and the written media id on the tape don't match and it will not use it.

A_Goode
Level 3
I haven't even imported any tapes into the system yet.  This is on the NBU database side.  I have created the bar code rules with the wrong tape ID in them.  I want to change the Tape ID inside the Bar Code rules, not on the tapes themselves.  This is a brand new system being set up with no tapes inventoried or written to yet.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
just take note of the specs for the rule, delete it and remake it.

Francis_Doran
Level 4
Hi A.Goode

Just recreate the rule using the correct media ID, as you cant change the assigned label ID in the barcode rule.
Delete the old rule if its redundant also.

A_Goode
Level 3
Looks like that's going to be the answer, but it's not that simple.  I'm splitting 500 tapes between a bunch of different server types, database backups, etc., so I put a few rules in place to move the tapes around.  Sigh.  I guess I'll have to do it over if I can't find a way to change the existing entries.