cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I extend retention on an already backed up dataset?

JHeaton
Level 6

NBU - 7.1

Master and Media - Server 2008R2

Client - Novell 6.5

I have a dataset that is going to expire tomorrow.  I am having serious issues trying to restore this data.  I'm in the process of trying to get Symantec support to help me, but I haven't heard from the support tech since yesterday around noon.

Is it possible to extend the retention on a backup, so that this dataset will not expire tomorrow?  Is there anyway of recovering data from an expired backup?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes and yes.

bpexpdate -backupid <backup id> -d <date>

(Check command for date format)

As per the command (man page) you can also specify a media id.

If it expires, move the tape into a non used volume pool (create one if need be ) and import like this.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

DO NOT suspend the tape, it will not prevent it expiring.  Freezing will, but don;t really recommend that .  Correct way is as you suggest, move the expiration date.

Regards,

Martin

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Yes and yes.

bpexpdate -backupid <backup id> -d <date>

(Check command for date format)

As per the command (man page) you can also specify a media id.

If it expires, move the tape into a non used volume pool (create one if need be ) and import like this.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

DO NOT suspend the tape, it will not prevent it expiring.  Freezing will, but don;t really recommend that .  Correct way is as you suggest, move the expiration date.

Regards,

Martin

JHeaton
Level 6

awesome, thank you Martin.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

No problem.

If the data is vital, receommend to physically write protect the tape, just to be extra safe.

If you are happy, it would be appreciated if you could mark the post that has helped you the most as the solution.

Martin

JHeaton
Level 6

You wouldn't be able to tell me why phone support with Symantec is so horrible, could you?  I was working with a tech yesterday, trying to restore this data, and haven't heard from him since lunchtime yesterday.  If you hadn't responded, telling me how to change the expiration date, I could very well have lost this data, which would have been extremely bad.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hi JH.

I can only apologise that your experience was bad.  Perhaps you can give me the case number.

Why has it gone wrong - perhaps the tech was off today, or got a call from another customer and was stuck on the phone.

Unfortunately what we just can't do is hand all our calls over to the next support center every day - on average I believe it is best to keep a given call, as you are familiar with it.  Many calls take a long time just to read the notes and get your head around  - I am sure you will understand this point.

I don't know where your support was, I like to hope that this is a one-off issue, and that you do not experience this issue each time.

If you need to assistance, you can always call in and ask to speak to the engineer, or if unavailable, redispatch to another one.  You can always speak to the DM as well.

Martin