Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore old data from the appliance in DR

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi All,

how to restore old data from the appliance in DR like emails that were expired in the appliance in the production appliance?

kindly advice

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to provide more information, you have provided very little information that can assist us in helping you.

So you to two appliances (what brand are they) , that contain emails (are the backup of Exchange?) that are expired in the production (how are data transferred between production and DR).

If there is some sort of automatic replication  the backup in DR has probably also expired, but I am guessing.

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

thanks for quick response.

i have master server and media server and symantec appliance5020(storage pool) in the prodution.i configured exchange agent through one policy.the backup storing in the appliance with 1 month retention and duplicated to the appliance in DR site that contain one master and one media and symantec appliance 5020 with sex month retention.i lost the backup in the production and i want to restore the image from the Dr appliance.(AIR and Slp policy configured).hope that iprovide you all needed information.

Best Regards

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I understand you correctly, you have 2 separate masters and use AIR to duplicate images and catalog info to DR master.

The reason for doing this is to be able to restore to a client at DR.

Do you want to restore to a client at DR or back to Production?

If you want to restore back to production, you will need to ensure proper Comms between DR master and Prod Exchange client. If separate master and media server on appliance, comms between both DR servers and client:
Port connectivity between server(s) and client
Forward and reverse name lookup between server(s) and client
Server entry on Exchange client for DR server(s). If restore is to be initiated from Exchange client, the DR master must be listed as Master.

An easier option will be to duplicate image back to Prod environment.
Also re-evaluate retention period based on recovery needs at Production....

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

thanks for response

Right exactly .2 seperate masters and use AIR.I want to restore to a client at Production using the images exicting in the DR? Appreciate in advance

All the comms between to site are fine from both sides. do i need to add the master server of DR in server list or i guess that when opening the BAR console (specify netbackup machine and policy type.)add the master server of DR.Because if i added the master server of DR in server list in productuon ,then the console in DR will be the same configuration as master server configuration in the production.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You need to add SERVER entry for DR master on Exchange Client. You can do this in Exchange Client's BAR GUI. If restore is initiated from client, you need to specify DR master as client's master.

This is necessary because restore request is sent to bprd on the master server. If Prod master is listed as client's master, this is where the browse/restore request will be sent.

If appliance at DR is a separate media server (not master/media), you need to add SERVER entry for appliance as well.

You will need the following logs for troubleshooting:

On DR master: bprd
On DR media server: bpbrm and bptm
On Exchange client: bpcd and tar

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

at this moment my DR site is down .as i will power on the site i will try the solution you provide. and logically i think it will work.if i will face any missunderstanding i will contact you.

Thanksssssssssssssss

Rami_Nasser1
Level 6

After we turn on our DR site .our master server on production site gone down(hardware problem).and now our environment is fully down and we didnot taking backup for more than 4days.what this mean ?if i lost my master server  then all the environment will not run?

kindly advice how to solve this issue  to not face again.

some of friends told me that: we dont have the best design(we dont have HA domain with clusterd master server. so please advice about the best solution to be in save side at all cases of fail

.Also I know that i can replace the master server with one of my media servers.but the problem is i didnt do thes before .if there are any steps to convert my media server to be master?

and last is it possible to build the cluster master servers in defferent places not in the same place (different network) between the master in the production and the master in the DR or they should be in the same place?

Iam so sorry for asking many questions.?