cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NBU 6.5.6 use LTO6 drives?

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

We have a small site where we are looking to have couple of LTO6 tape drives. Could someone let me know if NetBackup 6.5.6 (i know it's EOL though) can use them for read/write?

If not, then i think we have to go for LTO5 tape drives. Presently we are having LTO4 tape drives.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Maybe you can answer your own question...
If you know that NBU 6.x ran out of support in 2012 and LTO6 was realeased about 2-3 years ago... then what is the logical conclusion?

The other support issue would be the OS on your media servers. Have you checked if your OS supports LTO6 tape drives?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Maybe you can answer your own question...
If you know that NBU 6.x ran out of support in 2012 and LTO6 was realeased about 2-3 years ago... then what is the logical conclusion?

The other support issue would be the OS on your media servers. Have you checked if your OS supports LTO6 tape drives?

Tousif
Level 6

Hi,

The NetBackup use own logic to understand the hardware. It called density.

NBU-Density
Hardware  NBU
LTO1      HCART
LTO2      HCART2
LTO3      HCART3
LTO4      HCART
LTO5      HCART2
LTO6      HCART3

The NBU is application send the data via operating system to destination Storage (Disk/Tape).

If  Media server Operating System support hardware then I don't think NBU have any issue with that.

The below mentioned article not 100% match to your query but it give the overview the hcart3 density used in 6.5.x

Article: http://www.veritas.com/docs/000040585

Thanks & Regards,

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You are partly correct Tousif.

Density in NBU (hcart, hcart2 etc ...) has no technical meaning, it is just a label.  The rule is densityX tape will only be allowed in densityX drive.  The one exception is qcart which must never be used apart from with 1/4" drives, which I doubt anyone has now.  Reason being that for qcart, NBU writes in fixed blocks, which is incompatible with other drives.

Aside of that, the denisty has no special meaning, and will not affect performance or reduce capacity, and any density (apart from qcart) can be  used with any drive.  If you have a TLD robot, it might not allow for exmple 4mm density as (if I recall correctly) 4mm drives were not available in TLD type robots - I could be wrong on that point though.

This is absolutly correct:

The NBU is application send the data via operating system to destination Storage (Disk/Tape).

This might not be ...

If  Media server Operating System support hardware then I don't think NBU have any issue with that.

In theory, an older version NBU 'might' work with a newer drive - updating the device mappings files would be a good start (device mappings file allows NBU to be easily updated with new hardware as it is released).

There could be issues however with 'unsupported drives' - although NBU doesn't write directly to tape (it goes via the OS as you mentioned) we do interact, for example, sending scsi commands, so it's not impossible that some way we 'interact' with older drives is a bit different to what newer drives require.

Thanks for taking your time out over the thanksgiving weekend!

You're right that i i have my answer but i thought of verifying and checking over this platform with different backup techs for their views/thoughts/options.

I see these two links where the 2003 OS is not supported for LTO6s but the later OS versions did suppport.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21633872

http://content.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/SupportedOS/powervault-lto6

I think we have option to use LTO6s with the higher OS versions.

Thanks Again!