cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NetBackup do this....?

Denise8
Level 3
I'm a newbie to NetBackup (haven't had the formal training yet), and a manager where I work has suggested that NetBackup might be able to back up a folder with files, and then somehow delete old files from this folder, or trigger/submit a script or task to do the delete.  My gut feeling is that NetBackup wasn't designed for file cleanup, but thought I'd run it past you experts out there.  Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

mrobinsn
Level 4
Yes, you can post-process a script.  Look at the users guide for your OS (Windows/Unix).  If you can write the script to do what you want then you're fine.  You could call a third-party utility, etc.  You can also pre-process a script (say for example snapshot a database or something).

You could also look into archive backups if that works for your situation.  It might, might not.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I know of two ways.
one is to setup and bp end script that after the backup finished it runs this script (but I never used it).

What I have done for things like this is setup a script on the client to do what I want and include in that script the user inited backup (these means you have to have a user schedule in your policy).

this way I can have a script on my system set up in cron that starts and does some stuff
then kicks off the backup to netbackup
then does some more stuff when the backup is done.

like the previous posting,,, if you can script it you can do it.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Can it do it? yes

Would I allow it to do it?
no! I don't like that solution.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Doesn't an "archive" type backup policy delete the files it saves, and only if the backup completes successfully.

Your issue will be if you have to select only certain files, either by complex name rules, or perhaps by date.

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
yes archive option will do it, I have ever use it, but is for this kind of cases, just be sure that your tapes and images never expire, because u will be in trouble in case u need them, defenitly is not the best solution.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Why is it not the best option?

Stumpr2
Level 6
Why is it not the best option?

...no restore was done to prove the validity of the backup. Too many times I have seen Netbackup admins rely on the backups that they ran. We don't get paid to backup data. We get paid to be able to reliably restore data. Too many people forget this.