cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a Netbackup Windows server 2012 R2 media server backup the clients of a VMware Linux host?

sclind
   VIP   

I have the following setup: A Windows server 2012 R2 master server, a Windows server 2012 media server, and a linux ESX host.  There a four VMs defined to VMware. The LUNs used by the VMware clients are presented to the Media server.  I can see the storage (under Server Manager, Disk management) and it is online.

It has been mentioned to me that I should be able to see the VMDK files from the Windows media server.  But I dont - I just see the 1TB of storage mapped to the server.  Should I be able to drill down and see Linux files?  How would a Windows server know how to show linux files?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No, the storage must just be visible on the media server/backup host, not mounted and not able to drill down to vmdk files.

You add the media server on the master server as Backup host, then add credentials for vCenter/ESX server for the media server/backup host. 
Data transfer is sent via SAN to the media server.

Have a look at NetBackup for VMware components in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Please also go through the excellent collection of 'VMware Nuts and bolts' blogs: 
Nuts and Bolts in NetBackup for VMware 

Especially these two:

Understanding V-Ray vision through backup process flow

Transport methods and TCP ports

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

No, the storage must just be visible on the media server/backup host, not mounted and not able to drill down to vmdk files.

You add the media server on the master server as Backup host, then add credentials for vCenter/ESX server for the media server/backup host. 
Data transfer is sent via SAN to the media server.

Have a look at NetBackup for VMware components in NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide

Please also go through the excellent collection of 'VMware Nuts and bolts' blogs: 
Nuts and Bolts in NetBackup for VMware 

Especially these two:

Understanding V-Ray vision through backup process flow

Transport methods and TCP ports

sclind
   VIP   

Thanks Marianne - I was being told I need to be able to see the VMDK files from the media master.

Marianne
Level 6

No. The media server must just be able to see the lun(s) where datastores are... Not see vmdks.

Please go through the docs that I have posted above.

Hopefully you have disabled automount on the media server before datastore/lun was zoned to the media server?  (Also covered in Transport methods and TCP ports blog)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Additional info: 

VMware Transport Modes: Best practices and troubleshooting

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183072