cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can inventory robot in java console but not Windows GUI admin console

mascardr
Level 3

Using Veritas 6.0MP4. I can do a Media inventory on my robot in the Java Admin console. But when I try to do the same thing in my Windows GUI Admin console I get the following error...

Inventory failed: Failed receiving from robotic software daemon (44).

We have spent the last week replacing tape chassis, robot and tape drive. Up dated the firmware and did everything Veritas and IBM suggested. Even had IBM tech out here and an open ticket with Symantec. Any ideas why I can't do an inventory from GUI? I even uninstalled the Windows Admin console and re-installed
Thanks,

Debra

4 REPLIES 4

Pelle_Hedstrom-
Level 2

I have seen this behavior when it comes to tape libaraies that are controlled via TCP/IP, such as ACS, DAS. Are you running the Netbackup Administration Console on a non-netbackup server (not a master- or mediaserver)?

The problem was that the windows server, on which the Administration Console was running, tried to communicate directly with the Tape Library (the ACSLS server). This wasn't possible, because the server only had the Administration Console installed - no media/master server components.

//Pelle

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I run the admin console from my pc for 99% of what I do with netbackup and I have not issues working with the library.

Verify that you have given your pc or server that you are running the console permissions to do netbackup admin.

If you are not using auth for netbackup ---

in the gui

Host properites

master server

and get the properties of the master server

in this window

go to servers

make sure the server name is listed in the top window of Additional servers.

Second thought is do you have more then one library... so that when you do the inventory

in the area of "Select robot"

for Device Host is the server listed here the server that "controls" the robot

and for robot do you have the correct one chosen.

Rakesh_Khandelw
Level 6

Couple of things you may want to look at

- Check if you can access volumes, media etc. If you can't then definitely it's EMM connectivity related issue instead of library issue. Anyway, your library is working fine with Java console so I am almost certain it's EMM connectivity issue from the PC you are launching remote admin console.

- Make sure you are connecting to the server name defined at very top in bp.conf file or server list on master server

- If your EMM is not on master server, make sure the PC from where you are launching Remote Admin console have access to EMM server. If you are using EMM server name as another interface on master server make sure you have connectivity to that particular interface from PC as well and in this case you may have to edit registry to set EMM host name.

- I am sure you have your PC is defined as one of the servers in NetBackup configuration of master server, otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect to NetBackup at all but if you have multiple interfaces on this PC, you may want to add hostname for the second interface to config as well.

Alexis_Gonzalo_
Level 4
I got these from the Windows Console in my PC:
- Inventory failed: failed receiving from robotic software daemon (44)
- unable to get record from tldcd: Input/output error (5), stat=-9

Fixed it by doing these:
1) I added my PC hostname and IP in the media server hosts table.
2) Added my hostname as a valid server in the media server.
3) Restarted NetBackup services in the media server.