cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can netbackup 7.5.0.7 client pbx port be changed?

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified
Hello, I recently installed netbackup 7.5.0.4 client on linux machine and thereafter upgraded it to 7.5.0.7 . But the issue came that the Database listener was running on that port 1556 so pbx couldn't be started on it. Since the port is alreday occupied I cannot claim that port back for backup process pbx. I need to know whether is it possible to change the pbx port for client? Thanx in advance! Regards,
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

What database is listenning on that port?

Port 1556 is reserved across the entire networking world (IANA) solely for use by NetBackup.

No other product/software should be using that port.

See:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sdo

What database is listenning on that port?

Port 1556 is reserved across the entire networking world (IANA) solely for use by NetBackup.

No other product/software should be using that port.

See:

https://www.iana.org/assignments/service-names-port-numbers/service-names-port-numbers.txt

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It MAY be possible, but DON'T.

Since Veritas has registered this port nuber with IANA, the database listener will need to change.

You really don't want to embark on a road where you need to change NBU port on all servers and all clients....

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

The same reason has been given to the customer but they are saying to change at the netbackup side.

In case I have to perfom this, I would have to change the pbx port at the server side and client side as well! right?

Would this require a reboot at both machines level?

which all files need to be changed for it?

Regards,

sdo

Hmm.  You shouldn't have to change.  They're using a port that they shouldn't be using.

Marianne was hinting that you may be better off changing it on many servers, if the same other product is using port 1556 on many other servers.

If only one client is already using port 1556, then you may be able to change the PBX listenner port for this one client, but I've nerver done it, so I can't offer any substantial advice.

Is the client not also already listenning on port 13724?  I thought NetBackup Client would fall back to using vnetd, if pbx comms fails.

On the client, what does this show?

netstat -an | egrep ":1556|:13724"

Marianne

Show them the link in sdo's post:

Do NOT change NBU - you will have to change the entire NBU domain.

And what port number will you choose?

As per above posts - the database admins are at fault here - Veritas has registered port 1556.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Agree with all above - the internet will collapse if everybody start using networks ports not assigned to them.

I had the same issue in-hose with Oracle listeners using 1556 - they all had to move. And it is not big deal for the DBA's.

Oracle is not using 1556 anymore on new installation - its something from the past.

Just imaging if port 80 (HTTP) only worked 1/8 of the time. Or you had to investigate what port www.veritas.com used today 80,81,2000. Scary thought right !

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If you change PBX port, you will be running an unsupported system.

rookie11
   VIP   

check out this one:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000039784

PBX uses the following TCP ports.

• 1556 : Used to listen for inbound connections from remote hosts via any local network interface.  This port number is registered with IANA and should not be used by any non-Symantec applications and should not be changed.
  • 1557 : Was historically used by PBX to accept, from the local loopback interface only, connections from local processes on behalf of which it was listening.  It is no longer used by NetBackup 7.0 and newer versions.
  • A random port : Is now used by registered local processes to maintain connectivity to PBX and receive the transfer of new inbound connections from remote hosts.  As with 1557, PBX listens on this port only for the local loopback interface.

Harry_NBAD
Level 4
Certified

Hello,

I just went through a technote over web and it says it is possible to change the port over which the client connects to the master server.

http://www.veritas.com/docs/000029622

It seems like we can use both GUI and CLI to perfom this action and if in case the pbx port is not available it would connect through the vnetd port which has to be selected. After this it would conect through the vnetd port only.

Now if pbx port is removed from the picture then the connetion will happen like this:

earlier:

from master to client:  master - 13782(bpcd) - 1556(pbx) - 13724(vnetd) - client

from client to master: client - 13724(vnetd) - 1556 (pbx) - 13782 (bpcd) - master

Now: after selecting vnetd port only:

from master to client:  master - 13782(bpcd) - 13724 (vnetd) - client

from client to master:  client - 13724(vnetd) - 13782 (bpcd) - master

Marianne

If you want to go ahead with that despite everyone advising you not to, then by all means. Do so.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Harry,

You came here for advice, and had some the best people there are anywhere in terms of NBU knowledge and experience reply to you.

I myself am one of the BackLine Engineers, so although I won't class myself as an expert, I do have quite a lot of experience.

Do NOT make changes to NetBackup, the way to fix this is for the customer to change the ports Oracle are using, there are no other options - so the choice they have is either change Oracle or leave the backups broken - up to them.  I personally would noty tell them about client connect options so that they have no other choice (but see below for an additional reason).

Currently NBU will fall back to vnetd , this is true.  This is not designed to be an alternative to PBX, it is left over from when it used to work that way.  Then PBX was introduced as the 'only' contact, but vnetd will still work.  I believe the plan is to remove the 'vnetd' option in the furture, menaing PBX will have to be used, when that happens, any systems configured the way your are considering will cease to work.

As Marianne/ Nicolai pointed out :

1556 is reserved for PBX, nothing else should be configured to use it.  That alone is good enough reason to tell you're end customer to change.

Martin