cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot restore linux files error 2800

Dsss
Level 3

Hello,

We are having a problem with restoring files from a linux client.

Currently we are running an a solaris 10 master server and two solaris 10 media servers.

We can restore files from windows and solaris boxes but not the Linux.

We cannot restore back directly to the same Linux box either to a alternat directory.

I have our normal restore to an alternate restore server on windows.

we normally put all restores on this windows server and share out to the users so they can access them.

we do not restore directly back to the servers normally.

Any help appreciated.

01/07/2016 08:13:07 - begin Restore
01/07/2016 08:13:11 - media needed: N60661
01/07/2016 08:13:11 - restoring from image ourserver_1451797984
01/07/2016 08:13:11 - Info bprd (pid=26150) Restoring from copy 2 of image created Sat Jan 02 23:13:04 2016
01/07/2016 08:13:15 - end Restore; elapsed time 0:00:08
Standard policy restore error  (2800)

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Create the tar directory in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/

Add VERBOSE = 5 to bp.conf in /usr/openv/netbackup/

Retry the operation and upload the tar debug log to a post - do not bulk insert debug text into a post.

View solution in original post

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

How about:

bpimagelist -backupid ourserver_1451797984 -L | grep "Policy Type"

What is the output?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I don't see any restore progress beyond the bprd process on the master.

This where troubleshooting need to start.
If the log folder does not exist, please create it and restart NBU on the master server.
Once we have this log we can see if the restore gets furher than this.

Ensure in the meantime that log folders exist on the media server : bpbrm and bptm.

Oh! You have not told us - is NBU client installed on Linux client?
If not, best to restore to Solaris master server (not to Windows) and then copy Linux files from there.

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Create the tar directory in /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/

Add VERBOSE = 5 to bp.conf in /usr/openv/netbackup/

Retry the operation and upload the tar debug log to a post - do not bulk insert debug text into a post.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

How about:

bpimagelist -backupid ourserver_1451797984 -L | grep "Policy Type"

What is the output?

Dsss
Level 3

Sorry I need to correct the environment.

This is actually a vmware backup of a linux server.

I changed the restore policy to vmware and the restore type to normal.

I can see the files and can select them but cannot restore them to the client or an alternate client.

I have tried to restore individual files but it did not work.

Dsss
Level 3

Error code is 2820

usnbksmc01:{root}# bpimagelist -backupid usnbkb317p.global.ul.com_1451797984 -L | grep "Policy Type"
Policy Type:       VMware (40)

Marianne
Level 6

I don't see any restore progress beyond the bprd process on the master.

This where troubleshooting need to start.
If the log folder does not exist, please create it and restart NBU on the master server.
Once we have this log we can see if the restore gets furher than this.

Ensure in the meantime that log folders exist on the media server : bpbrm and bptm.

Oh! You have not told us - is NBU client installed on Linux client?
If not, best to restore to Solaris master server (not to Windows) and then copy Linux files from there.

Dsss
Level 3

Restored successfully after using full vmware image restore.

Apparently the Vmware retore for Linux does not do single file restores.

I was able to restore entire vmware image.  Reassign a new ip and then copy files from there with rsync.

It is odd however, that you can see the files with normal as ther restore type but cannot restore individual files.

Dsss
Level 3

FYI.

REstore was completed with full vmware restore and the reassigning a new ip to that image and rsyncing files from there to our restore share.

Just for info:

Yes there is a linux clinet installed on the vmware linux.

So from master is does a vmware backup of the linux box (vmware)

So you can say its a vmware restore,  change the restore type to normal and see and select all the individua files.

But it will not let you restore them,  Only the whole vmware image works.

AS long as this is known we can use it for Disaster recovery but not really practical for every day restore.

We will just stick with a traditional standard backup with the NB client installed on the Linux vmware box instead of the vmware backup.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You were previously asked above whether there was a NetBackup Client already installed and working, inside the guest OS of the VM itself.

You cannot restore to the inside of a VM if a NetBackup Client is not installed.

For anyone else reading this:   N.B. *NOT* all variants/versions of all guest OS and file system type and version are supported for file system style backups, or "cataloging/indexing" of file-systems.  Let me re-phrase that... ONLY some OS types/versions AND some file system types/versions are supported for individual file restore back to the inside of a VM... from a VM style backup.  Therefore, one should always check the NetBackup SCL documentation for one's versions.

Dsss
Level 3

Addition Info purposes:

Yes the NB client is installed inside the linux vmware client and working.

The version we are using is 7.5.06. on a solaris 10 master server, and two solaris 10 media servers.

I also concur that this version probably does not support single file restore although nothing in most docs I have read state that specifically.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

When this is true:

"I changed the restore policy to vmware and the restore type to normal. I can see the files and can select them"

...then you should definitely be able to restore to the client...

...and so when you experience this:

"but cannot restore them to the client or an alternate client."

...then something is amiss with your configuration.

If you actually want to resolve this issue, then look back to Marianne's post.

Marianne
Level 6
If you can list the files, you can restore them. You need to tell us more about you restore process. Maybe take screenshots of each step and ensure bprd log folder exists on the master. (Restart NBU on Master after creating the folder ) . If you share exact steps via screenshots and bprd log (uploaded as .txt file), we may be able to see why your restore attempt was unsuccessful.