cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Recovery (type)

Jay_Son
Level 5
(NBU 6.5.3)

I am currently running Hot Catalog backups. I have tapes ready, in the library, to do Cold Offline Catalog backups. Since the upgrade from 5.1 to 6.5, I have never used these tapes. The job appears in my Activity Monitor under Type column as 'Catalog Recovery'. The tapes mount at 7pm on 6/12 (Friday) and 6/15 (Monday). I am wondering why it is mounting. Is there a place where this can be disabled? Should I just leave it alone? What is its purpose when it does a Catalog Recovery at 7pm? There has not been anything written to these tapes since early February 2009.

My co-worker and I will be performing a update that will require a Cold Catalog backup. I have the same situation on another Master Server.

Open for discussion
Jay Son
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner
I'm not sure why it shows up as Catalog Recovery. Have you checked the cold catalog configuration? Right click the Catalog icon in the GUI, select the Schedule tab and change it to the manually initiated option if it isn't already set to this. If that is already set to manually initiated, check for a scheduled job in Cron (Unix) or Scheduled Tasks (or the at command in Windows).

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Rusty_Major
Level 4
Partner
I'm not sure why it shows up as Catalog Recovery. Have you checked the cold catalog configuration? Right click the Catalog icon in the GUI, select the Schedule tab and change it to the manually initiated option if it isn't already set to this. If that is already set to manually initiated, check for a scheduled job in Cron (Unix) or Scheduled Tasks (or the at command in Windows).

Jay_Son
Level 5
The Schedule is set to Manually Initiate. The job successfully complete. Here is the Detail Status:

06/15/2009 19:03:56 - mounting H01499
06/15/2009 19:03:49 - requesting resource H01499
06/15/2009 19:03:50 - Waiting for scan drive stop HPULTRIUM-LTOG3-10, Media server: su29357
06/15/2009 19:03:53 - granted resource H01499
06/15/2009 19:03:53 - granted resource HPULTRIUM-LTOG3-10
06/15/2009 19:04:32 - mounted H01499; mount time: 0:00:36
the requested operation was successfully completed (0)

There are no scripts (conjobs) that executes this job from our Master Server. Do you know of any other reasons why this would happen (@ 7pm)? I really would like an explanation.

Thank you.

Abesama
Level 6
Partner
I'd try this if it were my situation.

1. Check crontab -l for root and other users on master server and media server
2. Check if "bprecover -l" is running - this lists what's on the cold catalog backup tape, it may create an entry in activity monitor as recovery.
3. Remove the tapes from cold catalog configuration, see if it's still mounting.
4. Enable admin log (/usr/openv/netbackup/logs/admin) and VERBOSE 5, to find out what's happening with those mounts

If it's always 7PM (when it happens) then I'd strongly suspect cron, will check out crontab of all the users, on all NetBackup servers, checkout all the scripts in crontab.

Abe

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Check all your policies and make sure that none of them have by mistake been set up as type NBU-Catalog

Jay_Son
Level 5
That did it! I found a script (cronjob) that runs at 7:03 pm M-F. Thank you Rusty and Abesama!