Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog Size is growing very fast

Abhisheknetback
Level 6
Certified

Dear Friends,

I have a query about catalog size growth, in my environment Daily full backup for database and daily incremental backup for file system, databases are Oracle and exchange with one week retentions some databases daily retentions are two weeks and 45 days also.

Weekly full backup retention for all is one month. And monthly backup retention on disk two months and on tape infinite. We have BMR backup also for windows and Linux clients backup contain All_local_drives.

My catalog size is 800 gb after enabling the compression, my netbackup environment is only 20 months old. Please suggest me what is the maximum catalog size that netbackup can handle with good performance. Total daily backup in environment is 22 TB, weekly and monthly backup size is 63 TB

NBU version: - 7.6.0.4

VERITAS Cluster: - Yes

Please Advice 

Thank You!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... and on tape infinite.

This is your problem
Catalogs will simply keep on growing if nothing expires.

We have customers with around 1TB in image catalogs. These are Linux servers with sufficient CPU and memory.

These docs will help with capacity and performance planning:

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance

The NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide, Release 7.5 and Release 7.6 
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7449

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

... and on tape infinite.

This is your problem
Catalogs will simply keep on growing if nothing expires.

We have customers with around 1TB in image catalogs. These are Linux servers with sufficient CPU and memory.

These docs will help with capacity and performance planning:

NetBackup 7.6 Best Practices: Optimizing Performance

The NetBackup Backup Planning and Performance Tuning Guide, Release 7.5 and Release 7.6 
 http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC7449

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have environments with catalog size of 4.5 TB. Obvious doing a total catalog restore will be painful.

I don't think you should be afraid for large catalog sizes. Its the nature for larger Netbackup installations.

In reality, the only alternative is cutting down on number of client or retentions. Dividing one large Netbackup domains into two smaller may also not be the best option...

BTW: its a bad idea to run out of space in /usr/openv/netbackup/db :)

Abhisheknetback
Level 6
Certified

Thanks Nicolai for your help .