cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalog & duplication

Jerry82
Level 2

Hi all.

I have some problems with master server daily catalog backup and images duplication on tape.

Catalog backup failes with error code 2 (none of the requested files were backed up) and error code 96 (unable to allocate new media for backup, storage unit has none available).

The same code (96) shows when master server try to duplicate images on tape.

At the beginning, I thought there was a problem about licensing for drives sharing, so I put some other licenses but problem stands yet...

So I supposed there's a problem with tape library but device monitor on my administration console reports me normal state of all drives and paths...

Some suggestions for me??

<thanks>

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If so it's possible that just the media is suspect. Physically check the media for dislodged leaders or other obvious signs of "damage"

If this is happening for all your media I would suspect are hardware issue wwith your library, or maybe as you suggest there could be a config issue:

Steps to verify device configuration using robtest.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29201

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

in the CatalogBackup pool or your Scratch pool?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Run available_media from cmd.

You did not mention yor NBU version or OS -

Windows: <install-path>\veritas\netbackup\bin\goodies\available_media >c:\temp\media.txt

Unix: /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media >/tmp/media.txt

Please post output as attachment.

Jerry82
Level 2

NBU version is 7.0.1 and master server OS is RHEL Server 5.4

I launch the command

usr/openv/netbackup/bin/goodies/available_media                      on master server

tail: cannot open `+3' for reading: No such file or directory

media   media   robot   robot   robot   side/   ret    size     status
 ID     type    type      #     slot    face    level  KBytes
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
/bin/cat: /tmp/avail_media_sorted_output: No such file or directory

Yes, I have 42 available volumes in catalog backup pool

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

command, you could try the offerings from the following discussion:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/availablemedia-command-not-working

I presume this is a 64-bit installation?

You say you have 42 available volumes in the CB pool - are they in the robot, active, not frozen nor suspended?

Jerry82
Level 2

I suppose they were frozen, I've tried to unfreeze them and now there are 2 volumes in catalog pool and 40 volumes in scratch.

so I launched the catalog backup policy...it seems to have some problems in load operation:

Error bptm(pid=22970) error requesting media, TpErrno = Robot operation failed     
Warning bptm(pid=22970) media id 0008L2 load operation reported an error     
current media 008L2 complete, requesting next resource Any

I've been watching these messages for 3-4 times (with different Media ID), since it's trying to switch from one drive to another...

The mistery continues...

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Looks like you may have physical issues with the media in question & in all likelihood they'll need checking & replacing.

Jerry82
Level 2

Before opening a ticket vs our tape library provider, should I check some other possible causes of issues about my device configuration?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If so it's possible that just the media is suspect. Physically check the media for dislodged leaders or other obvious signs of "damage"

If this is happening for all your media I would suspect are hardware issue wwith your library, or maybe as you suggest there could be a config issue:

Steps to verify device configuration using robtest.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH29201

jea_seung_jung
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

After running the init command robtest

Inventory robot and a backup test again