cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Catalogue Backup of a specific Tape

kbrandt
Level 4
With Netbackup 6, is there a command or a method using the administration console to create a catalogue backup for a specific tape only? I would like to be able to eject the tape and burn the catalogue to a cd for offsite backup.
4 REPLIES 4

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6

You mean to say: Writting catalog images to a CD for offsite backup?

Normally catalog backup destination should be tape or disk.

So In ur case, you should configure  disk catalog backup and then write the disk catalog images to a cd and send that to a offsite 

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

What would you expect to use that catalog for in the future?  Would you want to merge it into an existing server, or would you want to bring up a blank server that only had that tape in the catalog?

You can copy the image files for the the files on that tape to whatever you want, but I don't know any way to keep a mergeable copy of the volume/media database.

-- 

Darren

kbrandt
Level 4

Basically there are bunch of backup policies and tapes, but only a couple policies and one tape are used for the offsite backup, because the offsite backup only holds a portion (the most critical data) of the total that is backed up.

The catalogue would be so I restore the files from this one particular offsite tape.

But from what you guys are saying, I need to keep a copy of the entire catalogue that contains mostly unrelated information to this particular policy with the one tape?

Darren_Dunham
Level 6

But what is the expected state of the machine that you want to recover this tape on?  Will you build it from scratch at the time of the recovery, or will it already exist?

You always have the option of running bpimport on the tape.  For small data sets, that might be fast enough for you.  Then you don't need the catalog at all.

I can also imagine a case where you fake the file image of the catalog, and only suppy the portion you need.  That would be annoying though.

For many DR sites, it's common to just keep the remote catalog in sync with the primary.  It might be bigger than you need, but if it's already in sync you don't have to recover it from tape.

-- 

Darren