cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change MEDIAID?

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Hey Chaps, Is there a unix command to change a DLT tapes mediaid?

Ive looked at using vmchange but it doesnt appear to have an option for the mediaid.

I just need to rename some new cleaning tapes that ive added to the robot which have picked up the wrong naming convention.

Cheers
7 REPLIES 7

Chia_Tan_Beng
Level 6
bplabel is the command to re-label the media.

But why do you need to manually change it? It suppose to match with the external barcode label.

Stumpr2
Level 6
cleaning tapes?

just delete them and then re-add them.

Are you using robotic control to clean the drives or NetBackup?Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

zippy
Level 6
Go to media and device management, media, volume pools and then none and chose the tape you want to change, right click on it and delete it, grab it out of the library, remove the tape label and put a new one on it, now re-import it into the library as a cleaning tape.

For tapes that have no data on them (all data is expired on the tape) you have to eject them from the library to do this go to media and device management, media, volume pools and then the volume pool you wish to select a tape from and right click on it and then choose change, in the change volume window move it to spare_tapes, now go to the spare_tapes volume pool and eject the choosen tape, once its ejected you can remove it from the library.

Go Gators!

JD

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Yes they are cleaning tapes, but when I add them to the library the first two letters are missed off the tape label.
Barcode is listed as CLNxxx for each tape, but mediaid is Nxxx.

I have tried removing them and adding again, to no avail.

bplabel, where do you specify the new name? All I see in the syntax is where to put the exisiting name?Message was edited by:
Mark Hill

Stumpr2
Level 6
what manufacturer/type of library are you using?

Mark_Hill
Level 4
Its one of our Sun LS500's. Thanks Bob.

I just realised I might not be able to use bplable as its a cleaning tape?

How do I get the barcode to be picked up as the mediaid?

Does it also matter that they have a volume group listed?
I have setup the barcode rule as per this doco:
http://entkb.symantec.com/availability/resultDisplay.do?gotoLink=2035&docType=1000&contextId=31939%3A2035.2111&clusterName=SymantecAVailability&contentId=6550e037-53c6-4ea0-8052-eae181252cc6&responseId=6ea8ff628248993e%3A1b1fbf4%3A110094e91f2%3A243b&groupId=7&answerGroup=1&score=821&page=http%3A%2F%2Fseer.support.veritas.com%2Fdocs%2F274308.htm&result=0&excerpt=Inventory+can+now+be+run+to+add+the+cleaning+tape%28s%29+to+the+volume+database.&resultType=5000#

Mark_Hill
Level 4
All good, media generation rules, grr..