Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Server Role from media server to master server

MSI_iqbal
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

Dear All,

Does anyone have experience in changing Netbackup server role from media to master? What should i do before, during, and after implementing. 

Best regards,

Iqbal

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

ok, so you left out a critical requirment which is to migrate the catalog. The easiest way to do this is to perform a catalog restore. Please note you'll need to modify the process I listed.

1. Decommission the media server (server B) and remove it from the current netbackup domain (use nbdecommission utility)
  2. Take a catalog backup of the existing master server (server A)
  3. Uninstall NetBackup from the media server (server B)
  4. Shutdown the Master server (server A)
  5. Rename the media server (server B) to have the name of the old master server (server A)
  6. Re-install and select the role as a master (server B)
  7. Reconfigure the storage devices (if you backed up the catalog to disk make sure the disk is presented to the new master in the same location as on the old master server)
  8. Restore the catalog.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

You'll need to

1. Decommission the media server and remove it from the current netbackup domain (use  nbdecommission utility)
  2. Uninstall NetBackup and Re-install and select the role as a master

Please explain your scenario though so we know what you're trying to achieve and that this is the correct course of action.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

I have a master and media server. The master has a limited resource so need an upgrade, then management decided changing media server to become a master server. 

After i do the decomission and uninstall-reinstall as master server, how i can migrate the catalog, configuration and policy from old master server?  

if there is new server coming i should i choose? Make a master from a media server or make a master from new server? 

Best regards,

Iqbal

RiaanBadenhorst

ok, so you left out a critical requirment which is to migrate the catalog. The easiest way to do this is to perform a catalog restore. Please note you'll need to modify the process I listed.

1. Decommission the media server (server B) and remove it from the current netbackup domain (use nbdecommission utility)
  2. Take a catalog backup of the existing master server (server A)
  3. Uninstall NetBackup from the media server (server B)
  4. Shutdown the Master server (server A)
  5. Rename the media server (server B) to have the name of the old master server (server A)
  6. Re-install and select the role as a master (server B)
  7. Reconfigure the storage devices (if you backed up the catalog to disk make sure the disk is presented to the new master in the same location as on the old master server)
  8. Restore the catalog.

Hope that helps.

MSI_iqbal
Level 5

Thanks Riaan, i think i have enough reference here.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Please note, if you are migrating from Unix -> Windows system (or Windows -> Linux) you will need to engage a partner to migrate platforms.

Marianne
Level 6

Some TNs to support what has been said above:

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between UNIX or Linux master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

How to migrate the NetBackup catalog information from one platform to another (UNIX to Windows or vice versa), rename a Master Server, cluster an existing Master Server, or merge multiple NetBackup domains.
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385

I_De_Pedro
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Marianne has marked all the important TNs about how to do it and the things to consider. The key is, are you going to maintain the hostname of the Master Server, single or clustered and the platform?, if yes you can do the steps that the community has indicated to you, if not, you need Catalog Manipulation services and you need to contact Symantec or your certified partner.