Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change of IP Address for Master Server

KeirL
Level 6
Partner
Hi
I have a windows 2003 master server (6.0mp4) with serveral windows media servers and clients. This operates in a SAN environment using SSO.
I have a need to move my master server to a different subnet and so need to change the ip address - I plan to retain the hostname and catalogs etc.

Is it possible to simply change the ip address and move the server?
I understand that any ip address change will need to be properly reflected in DNS which I can do no prblem, but is there anything I may also need to do?

I've done a bit of a dry run by changing the ip address of the master server and updating the DNS entries and this seems to still backup the clients ok.

Anyone done this in the past?

Thanks
K
2 REPLIES 2

Avery_Winford_2
Level 3
You should be okay with changing the ip address of the master as long as you installed the master with the server name.  Netbackup uses reverse hostname lookup with DNS, and as long as the ip address you gave resolves properly on the subnet to the server name you should be okay.  Also, if you did not use the ip address of the master when you installed the media servers and clients, things should work fine.  Just make sure you test reverse hostname lookup: FQDN, short name and ip address to the original name of the master. 

Stumpr2
Level 6
Be sure to update your firewall entries.