cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change volume pool

cus
Level 4
Hello,

i'm having issues moving tapes from the "netbackup" volume pool to a our customised volume pool called "offsite". Apparently tapes cannot be moved with vaild images on them, when running a "image on tape" report there are valid images on them which don't expire until 2016. Here is my problem, i cannot find any images on this tape via the catalog, when selecting "action\ duplicate, verify or import" from the catalog search. Could someone give ideas as to what i may be doing wrong? I was hoping to import these images off to another tape.

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Just to recap - tell me if I understand you correctly:
You ran 'images on tape' (which is the same as bpimmedia) - the result was a list of images expiring in 2010.
This report queries the image database.
If you cannot find the images in the Catalog section of the GUI, it means that there is something wrong with the criteria that you have specified. This action queries the same database (images) as the report.
It is sometimes easier to use command line than the GUI. Have a look at bpduplicate in the Commands manual.
Something like:
bpduplicate -dstunit <destination_stu> -dp <destination pool name>  -id <media_id> -L <output_file>

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

NavA
Level 4
try bpimmedia to list images of a tape. [Note: this command can take a while], also you might want to pipe it to a text file.
bpimmedia -mediaid <media>

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/281319.htm

And you can duplicate data to another tape using bpduplicate command.

rjrumfelt
Level 6
but it has tripped me up in the past.

Have you verified that the date range for when the backup occured was correct when you are searching the catalog?   The default only looks back 24 hours, so you have to change it to the window from when the backup you are looking for occured.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

run the report images on tape - and just put in the tape number,
it will come back and tell you what images are on that tape

Will_Restore
Level 6
If that doesn't do it, try modifiying Copies (i.e. Copy 2)

Will_Restore
Level 6
Technically, you would duplicate those images, not import them.  ;)

But if you're going to do that, why not just use another volume for your offsite pool since you're "robbing Peter to pay Paul" so to speak.

cus
Level 4
Thanks for your reply, i was hoping i had only entered the dates incorrectly. I did a search from as far back as 2007 for copy 1, copy 2 etc, but unfortunately i still received 'no entries' from the search.

cus
Level 4
unfortunately this is were it becomes confusing, when i run "images on tape" the report displays all the valid images on tape however when i go into the 'Catalog' and search there to duplicate, the tape does not exist. It is really unsual and confusing. I'm beginning to think we may have discrepancies in our Catalog.

NavA
Level 4

did you try this command
bpimmedia -mediaid <media>

If it is a catalog consistency issue then you may want to work with SYmante on NBCC [if included in your support contract].

rjrumfelt
Level 6
you have images on a tape that were expired in the catalog.  What is the expiration date of the images from the "images on media" report?

Would it be possible to try an do an import of the tape to get them back into the catalog?  Or does the images on tape report pull its data from the catalog?  If that is the case then ignore my first statement.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Just to recap - tell me if I understand you correctly:
You ran 'images on tape' (which is the same as bpimmedia) - the result was a list of images expiring in 2010.
This report queries the image database.
If you cannot find the images in the Catalog section of the GUI, it means that there is something wrong with the criteria that you have specified. This action queries the same database (images) as the report.
It is sometimes easier to use command line than the GUI. Have a look at bpduplicate in the Commands manual.
Something like:
bpduplicate -dstunit <destination_stu> -dp <destination pool name>  -id <media_id> -L <output_file>

cus
Level 4
i'm really not sure why i can't see the images in the Catalog, but your suggestion could be a valid reason 'images may have expired'?? I will check this.

The expiration date of the images on the media is 2016.

How would i import the images on tape to the Catalog? do you mean duplicate the images off the tape to another media?

cus
Level 4
yep you are correct. I ran GUI 'images on tape' report and bpimmedia and received the same information, images and expiration date of 2016 are identical, however it does not appear in the Catalog search. Could I please ask what you mean by 'something wrong with the criteria'? so that i may beable to test this? Thank you

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
when you do the catalog search
what do you have on that screen for your search criteria?