cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing tape library

Dnyanesh
Level 3

Hi,

Can anyone list down the steps which should be followed for replacing the tape library . The netbackup version is 6.5.6 and the OS is solaris. There is one master and two media server. I have to replace the existing tape library with a new one using the same master and media servers.

Any help is appreciated.

Regds

DM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What exactly are your plans as far as physical removal and replacement is concerned?

I can list the logical steps as far as NBU is concerned, but it all depends on whether the new tape drives in the new library will be able to read the old tapes.

It will also depend on whether both libaries will be connected until such time as new hardware is fully functional.

If it's going to be a power-down, tapes taken out, library (with drives) physically removed, new library brought in, assembled, tape drives installed, tapes inserted, connected to switch, power up, zoning update... etc... etc.... (in other words, rip and replace)

then I will do the following:

Use Media GUI to move all robotic media to Standalone.

Delete tape drives from NBU config

Delete robot from NBU config

Delete all STU's

Delete /dev/rmt entries

(You might want to down NBU here and/or power down servers for physical remove/replace)

Use O/S commands to scan/create new device entries once robot and drives are connected, zoned, etc.

Update NBU device mappings if that wasn't done recently.

Once O/S can see new devices in /dev/rmt, ensure sgcan can see all devices. Do sg.build & sg.install if necessary.

Use Device Wizard to scan/create new devices in NBU.

Create new STU's

Use robtest to test functionality - check to see how robot reads tape labels - if it reads 8 chars and old robot used to read 6 chars, you will have to update robot media id generation rule.

Check barcode rules and media ID generation rules before doing Inventory.

Update STU's config in policies.

Test backups and restores.

For restore testing: if new tape drives are different density (e.g. old drives/tapes HCART3 and new ones HCART) you will have to change density of at least one drive to HCART3 to ensure HCART3 media can be restored).

else ....

Share your plans for physical removal/replacement,

then

we can update this list......

(...mmm the more I read through my own list, the more I add....)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

What exactly are your plans as far as physical removal and replacement is concerned?

I can list the logical steps as far as NBU is concerned, but it all depends on whether the new tape drives in the new library will be able to read the old tapes.

It will also depend on whether both libaries will be connected until such time as new hardware is fully functional.

If it's going to be a power-down, tapes taken out, library (with drives) physically removed, new library brought in, assembled, tape drives installed, tapes inserted, connected to switch, power up, zoning update... etc... etc.... (in other words, rip and replace)

then I will do the following:

Use Media GUI to move all robotic media to Standalone.

Delete tape drives from NBU config

Delete robot from NBU config

Delete all STU's

Delete /dev/rmt entries

(You might want to down NBU here and/or power down servers for physical remove/replace)

Use O/S commands to scan/create new device entries once robot and drives are connected, zoned, etc.

Update NBU device mappings if that wasn't done recently.

Once O/S can see new devices in /dev/rmt, ensure sgcan can see all devices. Do sg.build & sg.install if necessary.

Use Device Wizard to scan/create new devices in NBU.

Create new STU's

Use robtest to test functionality - check to see how robot reads tape labels - if it reads 8 chars and old robot used to read 6 chars, you will have to update robot media id generation rule.

Check barcode rules and media ID generation rules before doing Inventory.

Update STU's config in policies.

Test backups and restores.

For restore testing: if new tape drives are different density (e.g. old drives/tapes HCART3 and new ones HCART) you will have to change density of at least one drive to HCART3 to ensure HCART3 media can be restored).

else ....

Share your plans for physical removal/replacement,

then

we can update this list......

(...mmm the more I read through my own list, the more I add....)

Vapulaflo
Level 4

You should list what are your possibility....

Will you have 2 library tapes on the same time?

Do you need to keep your tapes? will you change the technology? (dlt -->lto, lto-->T10000?)

SDK
Level 2

Dear Marianne ,

Thanks a lot for your reply . It was just in my line.

Basically the old library will be switched off and then the new library will be connected . Both the library are LTO4 library.

I have listed all your steps . Any other precaution or additional steps i will have to take pls?.

REgds

DM

Marianne
Level 6

DM - you seem to have two user names??

I have gone through the steps that I have listed - these are the only ones I can think of.

Maybe some of the other experts on this forum can add their opinion?

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Page # 73

This chapter explains how to configure drivers and device files to use storage
devices with NetBackup on Solaris systems.

This will give you an idea what configurations you will have to do after add new/replaced a Tape library