cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning Drive's ?

sahil_shine
Level 4

Hi All ,

I have  SL500 tape library,We have started using it just one month backup.The out put from tpclean is
Drv Type Mount Time Frequency Last Cleaned Comment
0 hcart* 48.7 0 N/A
1 hcart* 69.1 0 N/A
2 hcart* 48.1 0 N/A
3 hcart* 54.7 0 N/A
When should i clean the drive.I don't have much idea,What's the procedure.How to find the Maximum mounts for a drive or media ?

Thanks 
----- 

5 REPLIES 5

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
 When you set up a drive, you can specify how many hours of use before cleaning is done. This is done when you add the drive under devices - There is a box that says "Cleaning Frequency". This only works for drives in Robotics units. If you insert a cleaning tape manually, the clean count is not changed (Such as in stand-alone drives) so to keeo it current, you would insert it manually then run tpclean -M, which will reset the count to 0.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
You should also check with your vendor about how often the drives should be cleaned.  We were told to only clean ours when the drive tells us that it needs to be cleaned, as the cleaning process does cause some wear on your drive heads.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6
here is document telling how to use netbackup cleaning utility and setting clean frequency.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/242905.htm

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
... the SL500 has a "Configurable cleaning cartridge slot for [automatic] tape drive cleaning by library".

That way the drives will only be cleaned when they need to be cleaned & therefore will lead to less wear & tear on your tape drive heads.

DavidParker
Level 6
Definitely do not OVER clean your drives.

If you library and drive firmware support it, you can use the Tape Alerts and NBU will automatically clean the drives when they report that they need to be cleaned.  Basically the same thing as Andy's suggestion, just having NBU do it instead of the library.  Plus, if you let NBU do it, you can have as many cleaning tapes in as many slots as you like ;)