cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Unable to Browse for Restores

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I've already gone through all the name resolution checks and everything is OK.  Where I think my problem is this:  The master (Red Hat) is running 7.5.0.6, and the client (external customer) installed 7.5.0.7.  The backups are running fine, and they were even able to run a user backup as a test.  That worked but they still could not see that backup in the restores.. We can browse and see the data from the master just fine.  Someone else on my team said they thought they had seen this behavior before.  The client had to upgrade to 7.5.0.7 to fix a backup problem, but it caused them to stop being able to browse.  I'm just looking to confirm this behavior before telling them to down-grade or wait until we can patch the master/media.  As usual Thanks to the group.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to this discussion...

So, user backups work. Which means that client <-> master comms are good.

One reason for client not being able to see backups in Master server Host Properties -> Client Attributes.
Check that Client browse and restore is enabled globally and/or for individual client names.

Another reason may be hostnames.

If policy for client has Client1 in Client list, but NBU Client name is configured as Client1.FQDN, then this is the name that the client will send to the master to look for backups.
'bpclntcmd -self' and 'bpclntcmd -pn' on the client will help to check hostnames that can be confirmed and compared with policy config. 

Next to check is bprd log on the master server.
This log will trace connection request from client along with master resolution of IP to hostname and the image search that follows.

All of the above will help us to resolve client browse/restore issue.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

This should work.

Have you put all the rigth settings in the restore window, like source, destination and policy type. Please help us with the sceenshot and exact error message that you get while running the restore from client.

Edit*

One importan thing, if the client was backed up as FQDN then in the restore also you should select FQDN, and if it was backed as just hostname use the hostname in restore as well.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Yes that was all done, I was online with the client earlier, they are in central europe so they are gone for the day.  I have no access to the client side, just the master.  We have a meeting planned for next Tuesday when the client side admin said he'll be avalable again.  This gives me time to research here or get a case opened if required.

sksujeet
Level 6

You said you can see the data from Master but not from client. Are we sure that client is connected to same master server from where you are seeing it.

I have seen sometimes client get backed up from multiple master servers or changed to different master server and in that case we have to make sure that client points to the right master server from where it is getting backed up.

You don't see any data from client, old -new no data ? Is it blank screen or some kind of error? Is it flat file bacup or database?Is there any recent changes, master change or anything ?

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

There is only one server in the list on the client side, the correct master.  It's also the only master in the hosts file on the client.  When they ran the test user backup, I saw the job run and then was able to browse that data, so I'm 100% sure we are on the correct master.

As for errors, they get the pop-up box that says. WARNING server (abcd) does not contain any backups for the client (1234) using the specified policy-type (MS-Windows) as requested by client (1234).  This is a windows backup, so the polciy type was right, I also confirmed it was from a normal backup.  The names were checked, multiple times.

The client attributes under the master properties have also been checked and confirmed to be correct.

sksujeet
Level 6

Did you get the chance again to see the client. If you already tried all the above steps it looks like to be a bug or something very silly that is getting overlooked.

Please let us know if you already have a case open with Symantec.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am late to this discussion...

So, user backups work. Which means that client <-> master comms are good.

One reason for client not being able to see backups in Master server Host Properties -> Client Attributes.
Check that Client browse and restore is enabled globally and/or for individual client names.

Another reason may be hostnames.

If policy for client has Client1 in Client list, but NBU Client name is configured as Client1.FQDN, then this is the name that the client will send to the master to look for backups.
'bpclntcmd -self' and 'bpclntcmd -pn' on the client will help to check hostnames that can be confirmed and compared with policy config. 

Next to check is bprd log on the master server.
This log will trace connection request from client along with master resolution of IP to hostname and the image search that follows.

All of the above will help us to resolve client browse/restore issue.

John_Snodgrass
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Marianne,

It was just the oppisite of your example, the client was the short name and the master was using the FQDN name.  Just getting caught on some my old posts.  We got it fixed quicky then waited for several days for the customer to confirm.