cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud backup (Amazon S3) question?

karend
Level 2

Experts:

I have a client who wants to use the Cloud for offsite backup integrated with their existing disk backups that they do using a variety of products including NetBackup and Backup Exec. 

They want to know what enterprise grade products exist that also optimize the traffic on the internet (think lots of data) to save on bandwidth and time.

It appears that Amazon S3 is the only real cloud vendor.

Any help would be appreciated...

8 REPLIES 8

Nathan_Kippen
Level 6
Certified
I'm sure there are de-duplication products out there that might be useful.  Probably not what you're looking for but just my two cents.

rsorensen
Level 2

Karen,

In my company we have standardized on SecoBackup across all Windows and Linux servers. It provides compression locally and does de-duplication - sends only the changed portion of files to Amazon S3.

We have are backing up multiple systems ranging from 10GB VMs to 300 GB Oracle databases. They claim to support MySQL databases directly, but we backup our Oracle databases to a disk location that SecoBackup picks up as a part of its file system backup. It works like a charm.

check this url -

http://www.secobackup.com

The nice thing is that software is free (you can buy support from them - thats what we do) and really easy to use (we configure new systems in less than 5 minutes) and you pay the super-cheap Amazon S3 Cloud prices (we end up paying less than 5c per GB thanks to compression!!).

The one negative is that SecoBackup does not support Solaris, its Windows and Linux only. For those, we have a nice trick. I can tell you more if you are interested.

cheers!

Stumpr2
Level 6

Have you looked into NetBackup Puredisk?

karend
Level 2

I havent quite understood how to use puredisk for offsite backup.

Can it be used for offsite disk backup like SecoBackup?

I have always wondered about puredisk. Its an intriguing product. 

Any experiences with it - good/bad?

rsorensen
Level 2

puredisk is probably not a good fit for your need. I think your best choices are secobackup, zamanfa or resort to your own scripting.

we started off with scripting, but soon realized that it was a really bad idea given that it gets flaky and backup is not something that you want to mess up.

puredisk might work for you. puredisk gives you raw technology, secobackup + amazon s3 is a complete offsite backup solution. it all depends on what you are looking for.

hope that helps.

RAPHAEL_F_CARVA
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified
I completely disagree rsorensen. Puredisk Remote Office Edition is a good choice for your needs and also can easily be either integrated with NBU or replicated for DR (or both). Works in the same manner, de-duplicates data on client then compress and send to Puredisk storage server.

RAPHAEL_F_CARVA
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Sorry, I forgot to mention that you can have a remote Puredisk Storage Location on your remote site in this case:

Puredisk de-duplicate and compress data on client;

Send data to the remote storage location server (on your remote site);

--- to improve security you can ---

1. Schedule data to be replicated from remote puredisk storage location to central site Puredisk Sever;

1.1 Schedule data to be archived from central site puredisk server to tape using NBU.

2. Using replication, you can start a restore either from remote puredisk server and central site puredisk server.

captainstarlift
Not applicable

So, how would you backup solaris data?

Thanks,