cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert Master server to Media server

Sango
Level 3
Hi,

We have 2 domains. Let's call it Domain A and Domain B. Domain B is of a smaller scale.

What we want to do is that to make the NBU Master server in Domain A to backup the servers in Domain B as well. So we would like to convert Domain B NBU Master server to a media server and be controlled by Domain A NBU Master server.

May I know what are the steps to do this? What do I need to do to merge the catalog of Domain B into Domain A NBU Master server?

Another thing we would like to achieve is that they would like to upgrade to v7. So do I do the upgrade first or to do the conversion of the Domain B NBU Master server first?

Thanks.
1 REPLY 1

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

This is not a trivial issue.  The second part is certainly easy - once you get the Domain B info into Domain A, just wipe the Domain B master and start over to build the Domain A media server.  The first part - getting the B info into A - is NOT easy.

However, merging the catalog and the media information is not something you can easily do yourself unless you're an expert.  The simplest, and hopefully it will work for you because you said B is small, is to simply import all of B's tapes into the A master.  You then have a fully supported solution.  Once the import is done, you can do your v7 upgrade and then build your new media server.