Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOB backups......?

koya
Level 4

Hi,
i am newer to netbackup,
can u people plz tell me what is VOB backups....?

Thank you.......
3 REPLIES 3

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Well, VOB has many meanings; VOB for image/sound or VOB as in IBM Rational ClearCase backups.
Or, if we replace O with C, we have VMWare Consolidated Backup (VCB).

Which one is it that you are interested in?

/A

koya
Level 4

kkk
i think it is IBM Rational ClearCase backups
can u plz tell about this..?

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

In order to have consistent backups of the VOB files, you have to lock the ClearCase repositories prior backup. After the backup you would need to unlock.

I have implemented this a few times on Windows, where we use a snapshot policy in NBU in order to minimize the time where the repositories are locked.
The locking/unlocking is done in pre-backup and post-backup scripts respectively on the ClearCase servers.

You should coordinate with the ClearCase administrators on which approach they would prefer.

A very basic pre-backup script could look something like this;

@setlocal ENABLEEXTENSIONS
@set OUTF="%~dpn0.run"
@for /f %%i in ('cleartool lsvob -short -host <enter your hostname here>') do cleartool lock vob:%%i
@endlocal

And a similar for post-backup;
@setlocal ENABLEEXTENSIONS
@set OUTF="%~dpn0.run"
@for /f %%i in ('cleartool lsvob -short -host <enter your hostname here>') do cleartool unlock vob:%%i
@endlocal

However, if you choose to use snapshot policies, you cannot use the normal pre-backup/post-backup approach, as you would like to do this as part of the snapshot activity. The backup selection should look something along the lines of;

METHOD=USER_DEFINED
DB_BEGIN_BACKUP_CMD=C:\Program Files\Veritas\Scripts\clearcase_lock.bat
DB_END_BACKUP_CMD=C:\Program Files\Veritas\Scripts\clearcase_unlock.bat
\\.\E:

The \\.\E: is only used if you use FlashBackup-Windows, if you use a normal policy but with VSS snapshot, you specify E:\

The use of E: here is obviously just an example. Ask your ClearCase administrators where they store the repositories.

/A