cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a media server for an existing master server

nhstpravar12
Level 3

All,

I am trying to prepare a new media server to work with an existing master server. Master has RHEL4 and media has RHEL5 platform. Also, NBU version on master is 7.1 and on media is 6.5.4.

I searched on this forum and got some useful pointers. I followed installation instructions and media server installed successfully.

In my case, name of master server is 'hydra155' and name of media server is 'vm001'.

The contetnt of bp.conf file on vm001 are as following

-------------------------------------------

SERVER = hydra155
SERVER = vm001
CLIENT_NAME = vm001

EMMSERVER = hydra155  

--------------------------------------------

And i also verified that same reverse entries exists for master server 'hydra155'. I restarted nbu services on both master and media services. I have also verified /etc/hosts entries on both servers.

But when i am creating a policy on media server , it is giving error "can not connect on socket: 25" ?

Please anyone can suggest correct setup instructions for installation of a media server for an existing master server, and both having different platforms.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Any particular reason why you installed a different NBU version on the media server?

Status 25 is network connectivity error - master needs to connect on ports 13724 (vnetd) and 1556 (pbx) to the media server. The media server needs to resolve the IP address of the connection request to a hostname. It then needs to compare this resolved hostname to the SERVER entries in bp.conf.

To troubleshoot, do the following:

Verify forward and reverse hostname lookup. Do the following on master and media server for the other machine:
bpclntcmd -hn <hostname>
bpclntcmd -ip <ip-address-from above-output>

If all of the above resolves fine, do the following:

Verify that bpcd and vnetd are LISTENING on the media server with 'netstat -a'.

Next, create bpcd log dir on media server under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.

On master server, run:
bptestbpcd -host vm001 -verbose -debug

Examine output of command plus bpcd log to troubleshoot.

One more thing: All storage units are created on the master server, not on the media server. You create STU for the media server by defining appropriate attributes: Media server name and disk path on the media server (for a Disk Storage Unit).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Marianne
Level 6

Any particular reason why you installed a different NBU version on the media server?

Status 25 is network connectivity error - master needs to connect on ports 13724 (vnetd) and 1556 (pbx) to the media server. The media server needs to resolve the IP address of the connection request to a hostname. It then needs to compare this resolved hostname to the SERVER entries in bp.conf.

To troubleshoot, do the following:

Verify forward and reverse hostname lookup. Do the following on master and media server for the other machine:
bpclntcmd -hn <hostname>
bpclntcmd -ip <ip-address-from above-output>

If all of the above resolves fine, do the following:

Verify that bpcd and vnetd are LISTENING on the media server with 'netstat -a'.

Next, create bpcd log dir on media server under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs.

On master server, run:
bptestbpcd -host vm001 -verbose -debug

Examine output of command plus bpcd log to troubleshoot.

One more thing: All storage units are created on the master server, not on the media server. You create STU for the media server by defining appropriate attributes: Media server name and disk path on the media server (for a Disk Storage Unit).

nhstpravar12
Level 3

Really Thanks a lot for help !

Please find my observation below.

I actually do not know the reason because i have been given the servers with pre-set configurations. But i have query that is differences in Netbackup vesrions does actually have any effect on the configuration i wanted to create i.e mater with NBU 7.0 and media with 6.5.4. Also, there is a single server having NBU 7.0 which has both master and media servers on it.

>  To troubleshoot, do the following:

I have verifed foward and backward look ups and they worked ! 

Below is output  [ vm001: media server , hydra155 : master server ]

[root@hydra155 ~]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -hn vm001
host vm001: vm001 at 192.168.141.71
aliases:     vm001     192.168.141.71
[root@hydra155 ~]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpclntcmd -ip 192.168.141.71
host 192.168.141.71: vm001 at 192.168.141.71
aliases:     vm001     192.168.141.71

Above proves that master is connected with media server.

On media server ( vm001 ), I executed 'netsat -a', 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@vm001 pravar]# netstat -a | grep bpcd
tcp        0      0 *:bpcd                      *:*                         LISTEN      
[root@vm001 pravar]# netstat -a | grep vnetd
tcp        0      0 *:vnetd                     *:*                         LISTEN      
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     13329456 /usr/openv/var/vnetd/bpcompatd.uds
unix  2      [ ACC ]     STREAM     LISTENING     13329475 /usr/openv/var/vnetd/vmd.uds
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I executed 'nptestbpcd' command as suggested by you and found that some keyfile does not exists.
I am attaching log file as well as command output on master server.

One more thing i want to say that, when i tried to create a policy from media server by following command
------------------------------------------------------
 [root@vm001 /]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bppolicynew myPolicy -M hydra155
----------------------------------------------------
And it succeded !

I could see the policy details of policy 'myPolicy' on master server [ hydra155 ] ,
-----------------------------------------------------
[root@hydra155 ~]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplinfo myPolicy -L
Policy Type:            Standard (0)
Active:                 yes
Effective:              06/24/2011 22:52:48
Follow NFS Mounts:      no
Cross Mount Points:     no
Client Compress:        no
Collect TIR info:       yes, with move detection
-----------------------------------------------------

But when it gives error when i try to create storage server from both media server[ vm001 ] as well as master server [ hydra155 ]
---------------------------------------------------------
[root@vm001 /]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server mini_008 -stype NEC_HYDRA -st 9 -media_server vm001
Failed to create storage server mini_008, cannot connect on socket
--------------------------------------------------------

Same output on master server [ hydra155 ].

Now, I am wondering what caused, -creatests to fail.

Please help ! ( please see attached files for bpcd logs and command output of 'nbtestbpcd' on masetr server)

Marianne
Level 6

No problem with comms between master and media server.

You 'forgot' to mention the small detail of creating storage server for OST device...

The problem seems to be exactly there:

Comms with storage_server mini_008.

We need to understand all the steps performed before running 'nbdevconfig -creatests........'

Have you added /etc/hosts entries on the master and media server for 'mini_008'  and also added hosts entries on the storage server for master and media server?

Have you installed OST plugin and restarted NBU?

nhstpravar12
Level 3

I have an additional query that is it necessary to create a server group ( i.e. using nbsvrgrp command ) of all media servers that belongs to a master server, before we can create a storage server or something like that.

nhstpravar12
Level 3

I have verifed that plugin is peroperly installed and i have re-satrted netbackup services. 

I have also verified /etc/hosts entries on all vm001 ( media-server ), hydra155( master-server) and mini-008( storage appliance ). These things are okay.

When simply try to create a storage server on hydra155 ( master server on which a media server is also present ) using below command, storage server is successfully created.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

[root@hydra155 ~]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server mini-008 -stype NEC_HYDRA -st 9 -media_server hydra155

Storage server mini-008 has been successfully created
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

But if i just change, media server from hydra155 to vm001 ( another media server ) the error occurs...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
[root@hydra155 ~]# /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/nbdevconfig -creatests -storage_server mini-008 -stype NEC_HYDRA -st 9 -media_server vm001
Failed to create storage server mini-008, cannot connect on socket
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understands that there is nothing wrong between communication between hydra155 and vm001, but
i am not getting what causing this issue ?

Is there is something gone wrong with installation?
Is there is something wrong when media serevr and  master server have different NBU versions ?

Which netbackup logs will be helpful for accurately analyzing such problem ?
What more details will be required to troble shoot this problem ? 

nhstpravar12
Level 3

I re-installed plugin and everything worked fine!

Marianne
Level 6

GREAT STUFF!! As you have noticed - no need to create Server group... That is meant for tape sharing.