cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DDSU on NBU 7.0.1 questions

Meg_G
Level 4

New setup...just testing and learning so bear with me :)

Getting my D2D2T jobs setup.  My retention period should be infinite for tape (business and cranky people requirement), and 1 month for disk.  I'd prefer to use a storage lifecycle policy to achieve this, but do not have the license and mgmt won't shell out the dough for it.

I have two Basic Disk storage units created, and one storage unit group that contains both of these storage units using a round robin selection method.  Each basic disk unit is setup as a temporary staging area.  As I'm running 7.0.1, I ran into this problem:  http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH142799, so I'm running the necessary hotfix.

Question is, when I run a manual relocation on a storage unit that has data that should be duplicated to tape, three jobs are generated (see attached image), which is a bit confusing as I thought it should genereate only 1 duplication job, not two.  No multiplexing, and no multiple copies configured.

The successful duplication job has the correct number of files and the file list contains the correct backup IDs, so things look good there.  I noticed in the Job Details there is no retention...I didn't see a setting in the staging area config on the storage unit to specify this.  When I use bpmedialist to check the expiration date of the tape, it's in line with the retention period for the disk policy's settings.  How do I get around this!?!  Can I without using Advanced Disk?

With regards to the failed duplication job, why is it there?  There is no job listed in the file list, and I see this in the detailed status:

1/20/2011 12:13:00 PM - begin Duplicate
1/20/2011 12:13:01 PM - end Duplicate; elapsed time: 00:00:01
found no images or media matching the selection criteria(190)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Quindor
Level 4
Partner

I get that you can't buy the license and are trying to find another way, but what you configured right now is in no way a workable solution and probaly the cause that you are getting the multiple duplication jobs which then fail.

Stop using storage groups, that is not the way to go at it. There is no storage unit group which will give you multiple copies of the same data at the same time. That can only be done using inline copy. (which might actually be an option). DLP or Vault will not do this either, because they always work with duplication afterwards.

The straight forward way when you want a copy on disk and on tape is to use a DSSU (Disk Stage Storage Unit). This first writes to disk and then duplicates it to tape according to the set schedule. The copy on disk is retained as long as there is space to do so.

This means your copy on tape is always safe and listens to the options set in your policy and schedule (NOT your duplication schedule) but your copy on disk has no guarantees whatsoever.

You cannot use basic storage units in a Data LifeCycle Policy. Tape drives, advanced storage or Dedup is fine.

Personally, I think the only way to do what you desire by writing your own script. And scripting your duplication to tape. So do not make a DSSU but a DSU (Disk Storage Unit) and specify the desired (and possible) retention for the disk storage. Then, write a script which checks which images where written to it and have that script duplicate those to tape and then change their retention to the desired value.

A workaround would be to backup everything twice. With all the consequences that comes with it...(double or more time needed, is the data fast enough for the tape drive, multiple sessions, bottlenecks, tuning, etc. etc.). Personally, I cannot really recommend it because of issues that might arise with scheduling and such.

Basically, what it comes down to is that there are two options to achieve this functionaly. Spend a lot of time writing and perfecting a script, thus costing your hours, thus money. Or buy the options symantec has for this (DLP, Vault, etc.) and pay for those. But gain flexebilty now and towards the future and support when needed. ;)

p.s. If this is indeed a business requirment, personally I would feel it is THEIR problem and choice. No money = lower expectations, Give money = meet expectations. It is not your fault you need an option that costs money as a result of their demands. But that is my personal opinion, ofcourse.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Meg_G
Level 4

I should also add that I'm running Win 2k3 std SP2, 64bit.  Master and media server are the same...I don't have a huge environment.

Quindor
Level 4
Partner

I get that you can't buy the license and are trying to find another way, but what you configured right now is in no way a workable solution and probaly the cause that you are getting the multiple duplication jobs which then fail.

Stop using storage groups, that is not the way to go at it. There is no storage unit group which will give you multiple copies of the same data at the same time. That can only be done using inline copy. (which might actually be an option). DLP or Vault will not do this either, because they always work with duplication afterwards.

The straight forward way when you want a copy on disk and on tape is to use a DSSU (Disk Stage Storage Unit). This first writes to disk and then duplicates it to tape according to the set schedule. The copy on disk is retained as long as there is space to do so.

This means your copy on tape is always safe and listens to the options set in your policy and schedule (NOT your duplication schedule) but your copy on disk has no guarantees whatsoever.

You cannot use basic storage units in a Data LifeCycle Policy. Tape drives, advanced storage or Dedup is fine.

Personally, I think the only way to do what you desire by writing your own script. And scripting your duplication to tape. So do not make a DSSU but a DSU (Disk Storage Unit) and specify the desired (and possible) retention for the disk storage. Then, write a script which checks which images where written to it and have that script duplicate those to tape and then change their retention to the desired value.

A workaround would be to backup everything twice. With all the consequences that comes with it...(double or more time needed, is the data fast enough for the tape drive, multiple sessions, bottlenecks, tuning, etc. etc.). Personally, I cannot really recommend it because of issues that might arise with scheduling and such.

Basically, what it comes down to is that there are two options to achieve this functionaly. Spend a lot of time writing and perfecting a script, thus costing your hours, thus money. Or buy the options symantec has for this (DLP, Vault, etc.) and pay for those. But gain flexebilty now and towards the future and support when needed. ;)

p.s. If this is indeed a business requirment, personally I would feel it is THEIR problem and choice. No money = lower expectations, Give money = meet expectations. It is not your fault you need an option that costs money as a result of their demands. But that is my personal opinion, ofcourse.

Meg_G
Level 4

Everything I had setup was configured correctly, and is supported.

I was just wondering if there was a setting for changing the retention, etc.  Since there isn't, I'm just leaving the disk as a temporary staging area with infinite retention.  Just a pain in the behind because I can't guarantee that the full backup will fully be on disk in the event that I need to restore.  Oh well!  Like you said, you get what you pay for.