cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealing with Media Write Error

Denise8
Level 3
 I have a tape that received a media write error (84), but when I try to look up the media on the Media Lists report, it is not there.  When I tried the bpmedia command, I get this error:  'requested media id was not found in NB media database and/or MM volume database'.

I am currently on NBU 5.1 MP5.

What would be the proper way to deal with this?  I would like to remove the tape from the robot, but if the media database does not show it anymore, will this cause trouble?

Thanks, experts!
3 REPLIES 3

Denise8
Level 3
 False alarm?  I think this may be normal, as the tape in question had been expired the day before (manually).
 I tried a freeze on another tape that was also expired manually and hasn't been used yet, and it gets the same error.   Doing the vmquery on both tapes gives me results (as well as the tapes showing up in the GUI within their volume pool). 

Stumpr2
Level 6
check to see if the tape is assigned and if it is not then it should be in the scratch pool.

you can also use the command
# bpmedialist -help
USAGE: bpmedialist [-mlist] [-U|-l|-L] [-m media_id] [-rl ret_level]
           [-d density] [-p pool_name]
           [-h host_name | -M master_server...] [-v]
       bpmedialist -summary [-U|-L] [-brief] [-p pool_name]
       bpmedialist -mcontents -m media_id [-U|-l|-L] [-d density]
       bpmedialist -count -rt robot_type -rn robot_number [-d density]
           [-U|-l] [-h host_name | -M master_server...] [-v]

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Are you definitely supplying the host name for the media or master/media that the tape was written by, using the "-h <hostname>" switch on the bpmedia command?

Also, it could be that the media error occured during the writing of the first image(s), i.e. no sucessfully completed image(s) by the time the tape failed, in which case NetBackup will not have the tape assigned to any media server.