cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default-application-backup schedule type - SLP?

SteveLaw
Level 5

Hi,

Using NB7.5, Master server windows admin console.

I am configuring the schedules tab of a backup of an Oracle database. Should the "Default-Application-Backup" entry be associated with a specific SLP? My understanding (probably very poor) was that the Default-application-backup works in tandem with the other schedules e.g. "Daily Incremental" or "Weekly Full", and the SLP associated with those was used, therefore Default-Application-Backup doesn't need to have an SLP assigned e.g:

schedules.JPG

(SLP names blacked out to protect the innocent)

Also, is "infinity" the default retention for Default-Application-Backup? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes -  The default-application-policy is a "catch-all" for user initiated backup when a sysadmin only specify a policy and not a schedule.

I recommend to delete it - it much better to have an error than having backup running for weeks or month with the wrong retention period (or even policy). But that is entirely my personal opinion :)

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SteveLaw
Level 5

Hmm, SQL admin guide says:

"The application backup schedule enables user-controlled NetBackup operations from the client. These operations include those initiated from the client and those initiated by an automatic schedule on the master server. NetBackup uses the application backup schedule when the user starts a backup manually."

So looks like its function is entirely unlike what I'd imagined. 

This suggests you don't need one at all to perform SQL/Oracle backups, only for manual user backups. Is that the case? 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Yes -  The default-application-policy is a "catch-all" for user initiated backup when a sysadmin only specify a policy and not a schedule.

I recommend to delete it - it much better to have an error than having backup running for weeks or month with the wrong retention period (or even policy). But that is entirely my personal opinion :)

SteveLaw
Level 5

Thanks Nikolai smiley