cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Differences between the windows 2000 and windows 2003 client

kbrandt
Level 4

Hi All,

I have two computers in a DMZ that are backed up from outside of the dmz.  All traffic from the backup server destined to the computers in the DMZ is unrestricted.  One of the windows servers, windows server 2003, works fine.  With the windows 2000 server I get 'Socket Read Failed ( Status 23 )', is there a different between these two clients that would cause this?  They are both 'Client 6.0'.

Nmap from the back up with the two windows servers as the targets shows the following open on both:

13722/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup
13782/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup
13783/tcp open  VeritasNetbackup

Thank you,

Kyle

7 REPLIES 7

Ver-Cap
Level 3

Hello ,

Tryif this option is checked Client Properties and on the General tab I checked "Allow server directed restores" and "perform default search".  Restart NBU client service.

Also good option to try out bpclntcmd commands and do post if there is success if yes then try to establish the connection to the client from master server host properties.

Best Regrads,

kitty

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Altho' not always Status 23 can indicate a name resolution issue.

From the client try the various options for the command bpclntcmd (as suggested by 'kitty') & look for errors or mis-matches from what you are expecting.

e.g.

bpclntcmd -pn

bpclntcmd -ip <IP address of media server>

bpclntcmd -hn <hostname of media server>

nslookup <IP address of media server>

nslookup <hostname of media server>

[ do these last 2 twice in-case of duplicate entries ]

You can also do the reverse from the master/media to the client.

Plus telnet <client> bpcd

Ver-Cap
Level 3

Checkm.. could helpout kbrandt

http://support.veritas.com/docs/184043

http://support.veritas.com/docs/261393

BEst Regards,

Kitty

kbrandt
Level 4

Hi All,

Thanks for you help, it was as simple as the client not being able to resolve the backup server. I wasn't aware that the client had to be able to resolve the server, thought the server just had to be able to resolve the client.  Adding a entry in the hosts file resolved the issue.

Thank you,

Kyle

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Glad we could help. Smiley Happy

Ver-Cap
Level 3

Smiley Happy ...

Best Regards,

Kitty

Stumpr2
Level 6