cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disable and Enable Scratch Pool

technimdaxviii
Level 5

Last time, I've asked to enable Scratch Pool , and I successfully implemented the said solution.

However, it seems I can't restrict other pool to use the scratch pool. The scenario was, I'm taking a back up every month end for specific policy for our offsite backup. Before I start the backup, I manually assigned one tape to the pool used for offsite. Expecting I'll be having only one tape to pull out. I also set number of parallel streams on the Oracle into 1, to make sure only one channel will be used during the backup. Unfortunately, netbackup added a new tape from scratch pool, so I've got two tapes instead.  

Now, I want to know if it is safe to disable and enable the scratch pool before and after taking offsite backup? My objective is to avoid using the scratch pool every time running/taking offsite backup.

Thank you..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do you want to use only one tape in offsite pool untill it gets Full?

i yes i would suggest you set "Maximum number of partially full media" as 1 for that specific volume pool, instead of looking to disable the scratch volume pool.

Maximum number of partially full media will ensure that  only one tape is being used untill it is Full.

View solution in original post

watsons
Level 6

"can't restrict other pool to use the scratch pool"

No, you can't restrict this, as far as i know. A scratch pool will entertain all volume pools with no available media.

From what you mentioned, you want your offsite pool to always be using 1 tape, and only by manually assign the tape every month end. 

I can only think of a "partial" workaround that I have never tested. Follow this technote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100020652

to set "max partially full media" to 1 for this offsite volume pool, see if it can stop requesting for other media before that assigned one is fully written. You don't have to delete scratch pool for using this.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do you want to use only one tape in offsite pool untill it gets Full?

i yes i would suggest you set "Maximum number of partially full media" as 1 for that specific volume pool, instead of looking to disable the scratch volume pool.

Maximum number of partially full media will ensure that  only one tape is being used untill it is Full.

watsons
Level 6

"can't restrict other pool to use the scratch pool"

No, you can't restrict this, as far as i know. A scratch pool will entertain all volume pools with no available media.

From what you mentioned, you want your offsite pool to always be using 1 tape, and only by manually assign the tape every month end. 

I can only think of a "partial" workaround that I have never tested. Follow this technote:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100020652

to set "max partially full media" to 1 for this offsite volume pool, see if it can stop requesting for other media before that assigned one is fully written. You don't have to delete scratch pool for using this.

technimdaxviii
Level 5

Hi RamNagalla and watsons,

Thank you for immediate response. I'll try your suggestion.

Regards,

J