Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disabling VSS for snapshot errors

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

Hi,

I am running 7.5.0.4 NetBackup windows 2008 R2 Master.

I was getting error 156 for few of my clients for which I have then set WOFB - "Disable snapshot and continue" for snapshot error control.

Most of them are now partial with below errors

7/17/2013 9:01:04 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=2036) from client X: ERR - failure reading file: System State:\System Files\System Files (WIN32 -536805665: Unknown error)
7/17/2013 9:01:04 PM - Error bpbrm(pid=2036) from client X: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for System State:\

I know shadow copy components will be using only VSS by default and I doubt my shadow copy/system state backup has not completed properly.

I ve checked my Clients VSS writers are all stable.

Please confirm if things will be fine on these partial errors at the time of complete server recovery..Let me know if I need to do anything to fix it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

for Cluster enviornment if you are seeing the failurs on inactive node, there is a fix in 7.5.0.5,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH199089

go ahead and upgrade your clients to 7.5.0.5

remember.. you does not need to upgrade your master and Media server to 7.5.0.5 inoder to upgrade the client to 7.5.0.5

you can still leave master and media server in 7..5.0.4 and upgrade client to 7.5.0.5

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

as you Disable snapshot and continue, backups are compleating with status code 1 or els jobs endup with 156.

and the result is your are missing something while making the backups and can not gareenty the Full System recovery.

there are lot of things needs to consider to fix this issue..

what is the client OS version?

what is the Netbackup version in client?

does the clients are Cluster?

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

I have same issue for few clients.. Few are in cluster and rest single node. They all run Netbackup version 7.5.0.4 same as master.

Clients OS are windows 2008 R2.

RamNagalla

for Cluster enviornment if you are seeing the failurs on inactive node, there is a fix in 7.5.0.5,

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH199089

go ahead and upgrade your clients to 7.5.0.5

remember.. you does not need to upgrade your master and Media server to 7.5.0.5 inoder to upgrade the client to 7.5.0.5

you can still leave master and media server in 7..5.0.4 and upgrade client to 7.5.0.5

Sughi
Level 4
Certified

Thanks Nagalla!

For cluster servers, the technote you shared is exactly what I face.. I will try upgrading the clients tp 7.5.0.5.

Is there any solution we have for single node clients where i get only these error

"11:03:02.243 AM: [2076.2516] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: ERR - Volume resolution error for (System State:\System Files\System Files)
11:03:02.259 AM: [2076.2516] <2> tar_base::V_vTarMsgW: INF - EXIT STATUS 156: snapshot error encountered
"