cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documentation - Upgrade to NetBackup 5.1

Haim_Snir
Level 3
Hi,

Sorry for the common question, it has been long time that I am looking for info about the upgrade process to 5.1 ( I currently have 4.5).

I search this forum and Google – with no success.

Even basic knowledgebase will help me; just now I have no where to start …

Thanks

Haim
3 REPLIES 3

MayurS
Level 6
Hi,

Refer to the upgrade section of these guides
For windows master server
http://ftp.support.veritas.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/268195.pdf

For Unix master server
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/268087.htm

Pretty Helpfull!!! ;)

MayurS
Level 6
Here are the containts of the document

Upgrading to NetBackup 5.1
Upgrading to this version of NetBackup is as easy as following the normal installation process.
In fact, that is exactly what you do.
The installation process detects an earlier version of NetBackup, if one exists, and determines if it is possible to upgrade to NetBackup 5.1 from the version detected.
Read through the following notes and requirements before you begin upgrading NetBackup.
The following sections describe how to upgrade to this version of NetBackup.
Also included in this section is a procedure on how to perform upgrades in a clustered environment.
Notes and Requirements AboutUpgrading to this Release
◆ If you are concerned that your current installation of NetBackup is corrupt, then you should uninstall that product first, and then perform a clean install.
◆ You can upgrade to this version of NetBackup only if the NetBackup software that you currently have installed is NetBackup 4.5GA or greater. Note VERITAS supports an upgrade from NetBackup 4.5GA, 4.5 FPx, 4.5 MPx, or 5.0 to this version of NetBackup. However, VERITAS does not support an upgrade directly from NetBackup 3.4 and 3.4.1 to NetBackup 5.0 or NetBackup 5.1. If you currently have either NetBackup 3.4 and 3.4.1 installed, you must upgrade to NetBackup 4.5GA, 4.5 FPx, or 4.5 MPx first and then you can upgrade to NetBackup 5.0 or NetBackup 5.1.
◆ An upgrade to this version of NetBackup requires a minimum of 500MB of disk space.
◆ VERITAS recommends that you upgrade in the following order: a. Master server b. Media servers, if any (NetBackup Enterprise only) c. NetBackup Remote Administration Console, if any d. NetBackup clients e. Any NetBackup Add-on products
◆ Changing a master server into a media server is not an allowable upgrade. This is considered a downgrade. If an upgrade is not allowed, the install wizard will not permit it, requiring that you first uninstall the current version of NetBackup and perform a new install.
52 NetBackup Installation Guide for Windows
◆ Make certain that the NetBackup release level on the server is at least equal to that on the clients. Older versions of server software can encounter problems with newer clients.
◆ Add-ons, with the exception of NetBackup Advanced Reporter, must be at the same level as the NetBackup client or server on which the add-on is installed.
◆ Enterprise only: You can upgrade to this version on systems that support a clustered configuration. For instruction on how to upgrade NetBackup in a clustered environment, see “Upgrading NetBackup in a Clustered Environment” on page 54. UpgradingNetBackup Server to NetBackup Enterprise Server
Upgrading from NetBackup Server to NetBackup Enterprise Server requires you to enter the appropriate license key(s) in your current NetBackup Administration Console.
▼ To upgrade NetBackup Serverto NetBackup Enterprise Server 1. Locate your NetBackup Enterprise Server license key.
2. Open the NetBackup Administration Console window. Click Help > License Keys. The NetBackup License Key window appears.
3. Click on the New icon.
4. Type your license key in the New license key field and click Add. The new license key appears in the field in the lower part of the dialog. Note When you upgrade from a NetBackup server evaluation license key to a permanent NetBackup Enterprise Server-based product license key on Windows, restart the NetBackup services. Restarting the services ensures that the proper licensing information is displayed after selecting Help > About NetBackup Administration Console. Note If you make and save any license key updates (including adding and deleting license keys), you must restart the NetBackup Administration Console.
The system may require a reboot to complete the upgrade. When prompted to reboot, click OK

I too refered to this guide while ugrading from 4.5 GA to 5.1 MP1
Its preety straight forward..

But remember to Have a manual catalog backup done before upgrading.Message was edited by:
Mayur Shinde

Richard_Bannist
Level 5
a few weeks ago i finally upgraded our Unix environment from NetBackup 4.5 (FP8) to 5.1 (MP3a).... and documented it as best as i can, hope it helps along with the official Veritas stuff posted...

Had initially upgraded the Master/media Server and one guinea pig system. All other systems were still 4.5 FP8 clients with their respective Oracle Agents. Further clients were updated along with a few Oracle agents after a few days of monitoring stability etc..

Prerequisites

Hold the cronjob for the NBU Catalog backup (this backs up the catalog to another server a few times a day for extra security).
Hold the 10am RMAN DB backup/archive deletes.
Hold the 11am archlog backup/deletes for any relevant PROD systems.

- these actions ensures nothing will auto-start before 3pm..

Run the NBU Catalog backup manually. Also copy that to DLT tape as the backup only goes to disc (is normally put to DLT for offsiting btw).
Shutdown NBU & RMAN.

Upgrade

Upgrade to 5.1 entails removing 2 main Unix packages - VRTSnetbp & VRTSnbora (NetBackup & Oracle agent respectively). My (numerous) scripts are located outside of the NetBackup areas so safe from deletion.
The install itself eventually asks some questions re the Robot's drive mapping which need to be answered before continuing. Simply answered the install so as to keep the same mapping as we had previously.

Patching

3 patches (MP3) applied to Master Server -
NB_CLT_51_3_M.tar (Client patch)
NB_51_3_M.solaris.tar (Server patch)
NB_JAV_51_3_M.tar (Java patch)

And due to MP3 having a data corruption bug and being subsequently withdrawn by Veritas -

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277609.htm - applied MP3a to Master Server.

Post-Patching

Updated the Client software & Oracle agent on guinea pig system (ps you don't have to push the Java software to clients now, it's done within the update_clients script). Backed up/restored a few archivelogs as a test.
Restored a few archivelogs on main Production server just as a test as this Prod server hasn't had Client or Oracle agent software updated).
Ran the 10am RMAN DB backup (without archivelog deletions!), then ran it again, this time allowing it to delete archivelogs, then restored a few archivelogs.
Allowed the 3pm archlog backup/deletes for any relevant PROD systems to run.
All appears fine, even numerous scripts I've written over time, seem to be working fine.

All that remained was to update the Client software/Oracle agents on all other machines. edit - updated ALL client software (ie pushed from Master server) but only pushed Oracle agents to one or two clients as the old Oracle Agents are working perfectly fine. Will leave those for a suitable outage or more likely just leave them be until version 6.x of NBU comes along..

Outside of this, haven’t had chance to see if the bug in the 'available_media' script (that has been around from
2002 up until 5.0) has been addressed in 5.1. No biggie if it hasn't, plus can probably use 2002's workaround again if need be - http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/199300.htm