cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does NBU 6.0 MP4 support Tru64 NBU 5.1 MP3 client/Oracle agent?

kimleong
Level 4
Hi all,

I'm on NBU 6.0 MP4 on HP-UX 11.11, and have a client running on "OSF1 V5.0 1094 alpha". This is not listed as supported in the NBU 6.0 compatibility matrix.

However it's got an NBU 5.1 MP3 agent installed.

NetBackup-OSF1_V5 5.1MP3

Questions:

1. Is it supported to have NBU 5.1 MP3 clients in a NBU 6.0 MP4 domain?
2. Should the Tru64 client be updated to the latest MP for NBU 5.1, i.e. MP6?

Appreciate any feedbacks or pointers to where this information is documented.

Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
You need to look at the v5.1 compatibility lists, i.e. the Operating System compatibility list for the NetBackup version on the client to see if the client in general is supported, and also check the Database Agent compatibility list for the NetBackup version on the client to see if the NetBackup Oracle agent is supported for the O/S version and Oracle verison that you are running.  - i.e. the v6.x documentation will not tell you about your client compatbilities, but the v5.1 documentation will.

All v5.x clients are supported as clients to v6.0 media and master servers.

As for whether to upgrade the client to the latest MPn level, then my advice is... if you can then you should, i.e. unless there is a specific reason not to.  I always read the release notes for the MPn level concerned, I know it takes a while, but there are always one or two useful things to be learnt.  Remember clients cannot be higher than medias, and medias cannot be higher than masters.

Stumpr2
Level 6
As for whether to upgrade the client to the latest MPn level....

I practice the exact opposite. I always read the release notes to see if I must upgrade. If there is no pressing issue then I let things run their course. This is NOT the VERITAS recommended practice. VERITAS always recommends that for best practice to install the upgrades as soon as they are available.

I'm not lazy, I'm just experienced. Too many times in the past I installed a MP only to find out later that some of the fixes to known problems that were minor or not currently effecting my environment would introduce new problems.