cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Netbackup Standart Client license includes open file support?

Mindaugas_Lauci
Level 5
I looked on line, but I didn't find 100% correct information.

So, does Net Backup 6.5 Standard Client license includes open file support? Or do I need Enterprise client for this?
7 REPLIES 7

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Do you mean Windows Open File Backup(WOFB) support?
WOFB is standard feature of NetBackup on 6.x. No additional license needed.
I preffer using VSS as WOFB method rather than VSP(default), because cache file tuing on VSP is very difficult.

Santosh_Kalugad
Level 4
According to me you will require Enterprise Client.

Thanks
Santosh

quebek
   VIP    Certified
Hello
Per my knowledge the STD client license is including option for backing up open files. Starting from 6.5 there were added into this licenses such funcionalities:
Standard Client
• NetBackup Client
• Bare Metal Restore
• Client Encryption

Enterprise client is allowing to do this things in addition to above STD client:
Enterprise Client
• SAN Media Server
• SAN Client
• Snapshot Client
• VMware VCB

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
The standard client will allow you to use VSP or VSS for open file support.  VSP is only supported on Windows Server 2003 and below.  VSS is "the way of the future" and VSP is going to eventually be dropped from NetBackup.  If you're using a Windows Server 2008 client, VSP isn't even an option, and VSS is the only way to go.  My advice would be to get VSS working for all your clients now, and not even look at VSP, as you won't have to change it all later.

alazanowski
Level 5
To note, VSS is also supported on only windows server 2003 and up, so you VSP for below that. Standard client is just fine for open file support, unless you are wanting to perform full system snapshots which takes the enterprise client (this is a different terminology with similar meaning, but consider the snapshot to be more comparable to a flashbackup). Just depends on where you want those licenses to go in the future, its generally cheaper to argue the enterprise client at first if you plan to use any of those functionalities in the future than paying the more costly upgrade on the license.

Seth_Bokelman
Level 5
Certified
Ah, thanks for the correction Outbacker, we don't even have any Windows 2000 servers left here, so I'd forgotten it didn't include VSS. :)  Another note, if you are backing up Server 2008, make sure you're on NetBackup 6.5.3, as there are some serious issues with VSS on previous versions that can result in silent failures and lost data.  We encountered it here when we'd back up a 10GB server and get a status 0, but the backup image would only be 5GB in size:

See this link for more info:
seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/308301.htm

netbackup_rooki
Level 4
Certified

i just got this few days ago..it doesn't go in specfic but i know open file backup is part of standard client

* Difference between Std., Enterprise and Workstation client licenses?
CLIENT TYPE
DESCRIPTION

Enterprise Client
The NetBackup Enterprise Client contains the functionality of the Standard Client plus many more advanced features that maximize backup performance while potentially reducing impact of backups such as Snapshot client (formerly known as Advanced Client), SAN Client, SAN Media Server, and VMware Consolidated Backup functionality. Note: Requires NetBackup Enterprise Server

Standard Client
Formerly known as Protect Server. The NetBackup Standard Client is used to protect systems. A "server" provides services to more than one user and is considered a group or company resource controlled by a system administrator or IS organization. (NEW) The Standard Client now includes Bare Metal Restore and Client Encryption capabilities. Note these two components cannot be used together due to technical issues.

Workstation Client
Formerly known as Protect Workstation. Defined as a one system and is not utilized as a file, print, database, or Web server.