Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does VBR do this ?

Jim-m
Level 5

I know NOM  doesn't do this   ....

Can VBR report on NBU failures by :

1. Listing client failed because of this stream(s) failed and giving the details of stream.  Details being filesystem, wintel drive letter or as defined in the include section of the policy?
  2. If it can winter all the other streams be excluded from the report i.e.. only report by exception
  3. Listing client failed because of stream(s) were absent from the backup.  I have seen where the number of streams doesn't tally with number of filesystems on a Unix box and there's no record of them being backed up?

10 REPLIES 10

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Doubt it.

It was pretty tricky when I last did it.  Took me several thousands of lines of bespoke code to process:

a) Coverage report, handling cluster aliases, nodes down, unnecessary file systems.

b) Policies, schedules, include paths - and all the calendar vs frequency processing with date exclusions.

c) Activity monitor, re-tries, nested tries, re-runs, duplications (i.e. a path taken twice).

d) Exclusion lists on clients.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
 See answers below in purple

@Jim-m wrote:

I know NOM  doesn't do this   ....

Can VBR report on NBU failures by :

1. Listing client failed because of this stream(s) failed and giving the details of stream.  Details being filesystem, wintel drive letter or as defined in the include section of the policy?

Yes, this is available with an easily created custom report.
  2. If it can winter all the other streams be excluded from the report i.e.. only report by exception

Yes, it can be filtered to only show failures, and not successful streams.
  3. Listing client failed because of stream(s) were absent from the backup.  I have seen where the number of streams doesn't tally with number of filesystems on a Unix box and there's no record of them being backed up?

Are you refering to a status code 71 (None of the specified files exist)
    This is largely dependat on how you have the policy configured, for example if the policy file selection is "/" and you have cross mount points selected, you will only get one stream for all the local file systems, regardless of their mount points, and you will not see failures for them.  If on the other hand, you use the directive ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES, and have Allow Multiple Data Streams checked, you will see each filesystem on the UNIX host report as a unique stream.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Kevin

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

But can VBR report missing backups?  i.e. mount points on the server that bpcoverage determines should be covered by the includes of the policy, but the policy engine misses them off, usually due to a bug in path discovery/exclusion/inclusion.  Basically a path that we know should have been backed-up but never actually made it onto the queue.  Also, my script will detect when a job has been accidentally deleted from the activity monitor, and filter out successful re-runs.  Basically, it reports the true list of failed backups - which is always hopefully empty, but there's usually one or two from 3000+ backup jobs/paths.

In all that excitement I kinda forgot how many backups are actually missing...

Did I loose 6 backups, or only 5?

You've got to ask yourself one question... Do I feel lucky?

Well do ya?  Admin!

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Basic question:  What is VBR?

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

I don't believe so, it does not tie back into / with bpcoverage.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Veritas Backup Reporter

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
We also have a VBR forum (you might want to ask over there as well).

Ron_Cohn
Level 6

VBR was an acronym that I had no clue about.  Is VBR a add-on product or is it part of NBU for Windows?

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified

It is an add-on product

Ron_Cohn
Level 6
Thank you!