cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplication via SAN

Jason_Aaron
Level 3

Hi Guys,

I'm having problem to make my SLP to run via SAN and hope you guys can help me or give me some ideas on this.

Here's my environment details.

All Netbackup running on version 7.7.2

• 1 master server - Linux Redhat
  • 41 clients - Linux Redhat
  • There is no dedicated media server

On Master Server:

We have 2 HBAs. One is 16GB (Qlogic QLE2660), which is not supported by Veritas (yet) based on hardware compatibility matrix. So we added a temporary HBA (Qlogic QLE2460) with 4GB speed. Driver successfully installed on QLE2460.

We successfully configured FT backup for SAN clients based on below zoning setup.

SAN Client Zone Member

• Client - initiator
  • Master Server - target (4GB HBA)
  • SAN storage - initiator/target

The backup setup for all SAN client is to back them up to disk (which is on master server). And then it will be duplicated to tape via SLP.

The issue is currently all the SLP is running via LAN and not FT. I wonder why since both the disk and tape library are connected to master server. And to think that tape drive is on FC but data transfer to LAN is just doesn't make sense to me.

So we zone the 16GB HBA (initiator) together with the 4GB HBA (target), setting the master server to be a SAN client as well (bpclntcmd -sanclient 1), thinking that perhaps we can make the data transfer from the 16GB card to 4GB card. The transport type when we backing up master server by itself now changed to FT. But it failed with FT Pipe could not be opened (83).

Can we do a zoning for master server as below?

Master Server Zone Member

• Master Server - initiator (16GB HBA)
  • Master Server - target (4GB HBA)
  • Tape library - target

Basically we have 2 problems now.

1. Based on what I explained above. Is it possible SLP to run on FT? Or do we need to have dedicated FT media server?
  2. Error 83 - Is it because both HBA belongs to the master server?

Please help!~ crying

Regards,

Jason Anthonius

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"The issue is currently all the SLP is running via LAN and not FT. I wonder why since both the disk and tape library are connected to master server. And to think that tape drive is on FC but data transfer to LAN is just doesn't make sense to me."

There is no LAN involved here as there is only one server, your master server. It has both storage and tape connected. There is nowhere for the data to go except from disk to tape.

You don't need to worry about this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

PatS729
Level 5

Hi Jason,

First thing... A master server or Media Server running as "FT Services" cannot be a SAN Client, so remove "SANClient = 1" from bp.conf of Master Server and run command "bprdreq -rereadconfig" to effect the changes. This is the reason why you face error 83.

If both storage are connected to Master then you dont have to worry about the transport type shown in Duplication Job, I am sure its not going over LAN (While duplications are running you can check the network utilization).

Besides, Do you feel that the duplications are slow ?

Jason_Aaron
Level 3

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the reply. Now that make sense. How about the zoning?

Previously we have this zone config:

• Master Server - Initiator (16GB HBA)
  • Tape Library - Target

And now we have this zone config:

• Master Server - Initiator (16GB)
  • Master Server - Target (4GB)
  • SAN Storage 1 port 1 - Initiator/Target
  • SAN Storage 2 port 1- Initiator/Target
  • Tape Library - Target

Will it be ok to leave the new config as it is?

By the way, this is newly setup environment so we still haven't really get the overall speed for duplication. It just bother us that the transport type is showing LAN instead of FT.

PatS729
Level 5

I feel there is no harm in previous config, it should work. However, Duplication jobs will always show transport type as LAN.

May i know overall speed you got for duplications ?

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

"The issue is currently all the SLP is running via LAN and not FT. I wonder why since both the disk and tape library are connected to master server. And to think that tape drive is on FC but data transfer to LAN is just doesn't make sense to me."

There is no LAN involved here as there is only one server, your master server. It has both storage and tape connected. There is nowhere for the data to go except from disk to tape.

You don't need to worry about this.

Jason_Aaron
Level 3

Hi Pat,

Managed to get the speed after some manual calculation.

The speed for duplication is around 35MBps. I noticed the same speed on some SAN client backup.. and some went as high as 53++Mbps.

And just FYI, we are using 1GBps ethernet card.

Jason_Aaron
Level 3

Ah.. I get it very clearly now.

Thanks for the explaination Riaan!