cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ejected media still showing in the library as TLD

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

After ejecting medias from the library. The medias re still displaying in the library as TLD. Please advice what to do.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I presume you ejected the media using the library in which case you need to run an inventory from NBU. In the future, eject the media from within NBU. Martin

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Please share exact details of how eject was done.

If incorrect procedure is used, the eject will fail and tapes will be returned to slots.

Eject steps that we normally recommend:

Manually select the tapes in the Media section of the GUI, right-click, select  “Eject Volume(s) from Robot….”
A new window will open with 'pre-checks' on the list of tapes to be ejected. 

After a short while NetBackup will complete the eject pre-checks.

If the list is correct, click “Eject”.

This will eject all the media listed into the Media Ejection Port  (MAP/CAP) on the library. Once all media has been moved into the CAP, a pop up will appear asking "Do you want to continue with the eject?". Do NOT click YES as yet.
You can now go to the Library and remove the tapes from the  CAP. 
Once you have removed the tapes and closed the CAP (wait ±2 mins), click on YES on the above screen.

NB. Only click “Yes” after you have removed the tapes from the CAP.

Once completed, “Eject success” will be displayed. 
Click on Close to update Media List.

(Above process corresponds with second part of Andy's post: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/eject-tape-media-stk-sl3000-tape-library-data-it#comm... )

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
I presume you ejected the media using the library in which case you need to run an inventory from NBU. In the future, eject the media from within NBU. Martin

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

The medias were actually ejected into the access port. After i took all the medias out, i clicked continue to eject. Then i got an error " media eject aborted' media eject ended with errors. Its strange because, this is like 1 thousand times i have ejected medias successfully. So i have no idea what happened. But please i need your expertise.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Do i need to inject the medias again, and re-start the process of ejecting all over?

Marianne
Level 6

How long between selecting “Eject” and then "... continue with the eject?"

There is an eject timeout. If I'm not mistaken, the timeout is something like 5 minutes. 

Yes, it is 5 minutes - see this TN: http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163557

As of NetBackup version 7.x, there is now a timeout of 300 seconds on an eject which gives 5 minutes to remove tapes from the Media Access Port, otherwise a timeout error is generated.

Solution

Add a directive to the /usr/openv/volmgr/vm.conf file on the robot control host, and restart MM  daemons for the change to take effect. The directive is

MAP_CONTINUE_TIMEOUT = <timeout in seconds>

For example, to set the amount of time to remove tapes from the MAP  to 15 minutes, add the directive

MAP_CONTINUE_TIMEOUT = 900

and restart MM  processes on the robot control host.

Marianne
Level 6

Just run Inventory - it will update NBU with actual robot contents.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Marianne, i am so greatful for your wonderful support on this portal. God bless you. case resolve after running inventory. Thank you ones again.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

To be fair, mph999 gave you the solution 20 minutes before Marianne did.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

revaroo you are right. mph999 please accept my apology. We are all here to make working fun. Marianne has been my personal instructor all the years, so i got hooked with her advice...."smile"

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Marianne is a NetBackup Warrior :)

Marianne
Level 6

And I look up to Martin (mph999)!  wink

The short-term solution is to run inventory.

The error you received is probably because of 5-minute timeout.
If you don't add the vm.conf entry, its going to happen again.... 

So, the post about MAP_CONTINUE_TIMEOUT is the permanent solution.