Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error 174, EMC EDL, HP-UX media server and stape versus atdd

bcblake
Level 4
Partner

All-

Experiencing strange behavior from multiple HP-UX media servers (rp7420's and rp8420's running HP-UX 11.11) when writing to an EMC EDL (4406) which I've tried configuring as emulating both IBM LTO-2 and IBM LTO-3. This is using NBU 6.5.1.

I can't seem to get a straight answer from either EMC, HP or Symantec.

The only definitive info I have is in the NBU 6.5 HCL, which states that Symantec supports the IBM (atdd) tape driver on HP-UX:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

IBM Tape Driver Support

The list below is intended to show the latest versions of the IBM device drivers that have been tested with NetBackup. Older versions may work but the versions listed

here are recommended.

AIX (atape) and HP-UX 11.23 and earlier (atdd) were tested using IBM device drivers. Windows can use either Symantec or IBM tape drivers.

If using the IBM Windows Tape Device Drivers be sure to choose the install_nonexclusive.exe executable. This option permits a tape drive to be accessed by multiple

processes on a Media Server, which is a requirement for NetBackup.

- Atape 9.6.0.0 driver tested on AIX 5.1 and later

- IBMTape driver level 6.1.9.5 tested on Windows

- atdd 3.5.0.29 driver tested on HP-UX 11.11

- atdd 5.6.0.84 driver tested on HP-UX 11.23 PA-RISC

- atdd 5.5.0.84 driver tested on HP-UX 11.23 IA-64

- atdd 6.0.0.84 driver tested on HP-UX 11.31 PA-RISC and IA-64. NetBackup only supports legacy Device Special Files (DSFs) on HP-UX 11.31. Persistent DSFs are

not supported.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, when we try this, we end up with intermittent 174 errors (Error bptm (pid=9329) write of 262144 bytes indicated only 0 bytes were written, errno = 0).

When we reconfigure the SAME tape drives to use HP-UX's native stape driver (and *remove* atdd), all works well with NO errors.

FYI, the version of atdd we are using is 3.5.0.88:

# swlist | grep -i ibm

atdd                                  3.5.0.88       GES IBM tape and changer device driver for TotalStorage

tapeutil                              4.4.1.0        IBM HP-UX Tape Utility Program

If anyone else has seen weird behavior like this, let me know... at this point we are planning to deploy the HP-UX native stape driver since it is the one that is working.

Thanks,

Brian

0 REPLIES 0