cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error during install

martin_wells
Level 2
Hi,

I'm trying to install the Netbackup 5.1 client on a windows 2003 server and I'm getting the following problem

A pop up window appears when I hit next on the install window headed MSI11. It says NBInstDlg.DLL cannot load resdll.dll.

Has anyone seen this before

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7

mike_duffy
Level 2
Martin,

Sorry I have never seen this one

martin_wells
Level 2
Neither have I, thanks anyway

mike_duffy
Level 2
No worries

Carlos_Santos_T
Level 3
Hi Martin,

See in the install log file if has a line like below, if yes rename the resdll.dll and to try install again

04-22-2004,13:33:55:C:\WINNT\resdll.dll must be deleted before install can continue

T+

Julian_Hicks
Not applicable
The problem is with DCOM permissions. Try the folllowing: -

Symptom:
When installing Netbackup 4.5 on a Windows 2000 server, the above error is received

Exact Error Message:

"NBInstDlg.dll cannot load resdll.dll"

Solution:

CAUSE
This behavior may occur because the Default Access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool.
RESOLUTION
To resolve this behavior, perform the following steps:
Click Start.
Click Run and type:
Dcomcnfg
Click OK.
Click the Default Security Tab.
In the Default Access Permissions box, click Edit Default.
Verify that both System and Interactive are listed with Allow Access. If either are missing, add them by clicking Add.
In the List Names From box, ensure that the local computer name is listed.
Set Type of Access to Allow Access.
Select the account that is missing and click Add.
Repeat the above step if both accounts are missing.
Click OK.
Click OK, and then click OK again to exit from the dcomcnfg command. For your settings to be updated you must log off, and then log on to the system.
MORE INFORMATION
If the list of Access permissions is empty, the system and interactive accounts have implicit access rights. If a user or group is added to this list, the implicit rights no longer apply and only the users explicitly listed can have rights. This is a change in behavior from Microsoft Windows NT 4.0. In Windows NT 4.0, the system and interactive accounts maintained their access rights even though they were not explicitly listed. The following article may resolve similar symptoms:

jerry_marshall
Not applicable
i know this thread is a year and a half old, but i just had to post to let everyone know that Julians resolution to this issue works as written. i had a windows 2000 advanced server that was giving me this error when trying to install 5.1 and fixing the dcom config did the trick!

thanks julian!

Stumpr2
Level 6
CAUSE
This behavior may occur because the Default Access permissions have been changed in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool.

Why would someone or something change the Default Access permissions in the Dcomcnfg.exe tool? It seems to have happened to quite a few people. Too much for just a windows admin to have casually done it.