cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error on Media use

TandyBrands
Level 4

Hey folks,

Probably a simple answer, but want to confirm.  I got the following onver the weekend:

1/15/2012 6:57:20 AM - positioning FUL152 to file 1
1/15/2012 6:57:25 AM - Error bptm(pid=7136) write error on media id FUL152, drive index 1, writing header block, 19
1/15/2012 6:57:33 AM - end writing; write time: 03:02:40
media write error(84)

When I attemted to the do a quick erase on the tape to see what it would do, I got this:

1/17/2012 3:26:26 PM - erasing FUL152
1/17/2012 3:26:26 PM - Error bplabel(pid=8100) Erase failed: system call failed (11)      
1/17/2012 3:26:26 PM - end Erase; elapsed time: 00:00:47
system call failed(11)

Now, the system is in a remote location (offsite) so if suggested that I go and remove the tape, and take a look at it, then I might need the steps involved in that as well.  I can replace teh tape with a new one as well.

Thanks,

James

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check to see if the media is Assigned. This means there are valid images on the tape or possibly Frozen.

Check tape list report (bpmedialist) to see media status.

Only un-assigned tapes can be erased and/or re-labelled.

For troubleshooting you will need bptm log and system logs on remote media server.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Details on the error ...

Problem

Media erase failing system call failed(11)

Solution

Error: 
Media erase failing with system call failed(11) 

Logs: 
01/04/2010 14:27:22 - Error bplabel(pid=4384) Erase failed: system call failed (11) 
01/04/2010 14:27:22 - end Erase; elapsed time: 00:01:10 
system call failed(11) 

Resolution: 
Check physically whether Media Write protected selected. 
If selected turn it off. 

Issue can also be with the H/w. Check with the vendor

Martin

TandyBrands
Level 4

Well, I'll head off to the site today, and check the write-protect.  That's a possibility.

The media is part of the Netbackup pool.  No issues there.

The media does not appear to be frozen (I can right-click, and unfreeze option is grayed out, meaning I only have the option to freeze it).

bpmedialist - not sure where I find that.  It does not seem to be an executeable in the BIN directory.

bptm log during the time frame of the attempted erase had no entries... at all.  Last timestamp was at 13:22:31.874, and the next one was 13.32.31.870 for the next entry.  The erase was issued at 13:25 and stoppedt at 13:26.  This is the media server I go tthe log from.

System logs is kinda generic for a guy like me.  There something more specific you may mean?  I have a slew of log files, all of large size it seems on teh media server.  Good thing I have a lot of HD space ;)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The application log is always useful - look for NetBackup entries

The System log will also have driver entries - such as "hplto" and something like "tape1 has a bad block"

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Maybe a bit more info about your environment, please?

If you have the following scenario:

master and media server(s) at head office attached to robot
media server at remote site with own robot

You need to be careful that when trying to quick erase from the GUI, that the REMOTE media server is selected to do the erase. The GUI will probably default to the master.

The easiest way is to use bplabel from cmd on the remote media server.

If we know more about your setup (including OS on the media server) we might be able to give more helpful advice.

TandyBrands
Level 4

Got it.  Here is the setup.

Netbackup 6.5.4 installed on Windows server 2008. Storagetek SL500 w/50 tape library attached via fiber directly to this server. Server is on same physical network as the other servers I back up.  No remote site backup going on, etc. Pretty straight forward.  (My reference to remote site earlier is that this all exists remotely from where I am located, not that I am doing multiple media/master servers.).

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

Have you try to read the tape from a different drive? just confirm is a bad tape and not a bad drive and from the other side mount a different tape in the drive and see if you can write and read to.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks for the extra information ...

So things to check (although No. 3 is the actual answer)....

1. Removable Storage Service is not installed - if it is then stop and disable the service (not there by default on Windows 2008)

2. Make sure you have the AutoRun key in the drivers registry with a value of 0 - see this tech note (it does apply to all Windows O/Ss): http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411

3. Check the Application and System Event logs for errors - if a tape is write protected it will also report this in the event log - the last little bit of your error is "writing header block, 19" - that "19" usually means that the tape is write protected but the Event logs will confirm that as would the bptm log on the Media Server which will report a 0x09 tape alert. See here (another of my very old but useful links!): http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH39004

If you find that the tape is not actually write protected then it is faulty

Hope this helps