cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange 2010 GRT Full backup took very long time

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I have deployed Net backup 7.5 in one of the shipping company , i am taking GRT Backups, it is 73 GB Data , it tooks 9 hrs approximately for Full backup ,

the bandwidth it is using is 20Mbps. approx. and it will slow and some times stops the work of Online Exchange Users of shipping company on the day we took Full Backup,

i have successfully took the Exchange 2010 GRT  full Backup 

What is the solution that Full Backup Of Exchange GRT will took less time , fast backup and will not affect on Online users of Exchange 

12 REPLIES 12

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

What is the solution that Full Backup Of Exchange GRT will took less time , fast backup and will not affect on Online users of Exchange ....

• GRT will took less time

In compare with normal backup you will always find slow Granular backup

• fast backup and will not affect on Online users of Exchange

Definately you can increase the performance of backup with installing faster Tape Libraries and as far as Exchange performance is concern you may have a Server with inefficient hardware. Did you checked the performance of you server via performance monitor or with some other tools ?

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

Are you backing up off of an active or passive DAG?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

we are just taking backups of Microsoft Information Store, and its Active backups

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Mr. zahid 

we are taking backups on disk , not on tape. 

actually our exchange server is on Remote site, i.e. approx 10 km far from our Production site ,

and when we took backups on network it used 20 to 25 Mbps, and slow  the work of online  exchange users 

Zahid_Haseeb

taking the backup from passives copy of data may decrease the backup time and also while the backup time  the exchange performance may also not decrease. As the passive data will not be accessed by the Exchange users

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

When you say active backups you mean the transaction logs? Your policy should look similar to this.

If you are having long waits on snapshots of the databases there is a consistancy check that you can disable. It does it automatically if you backup from the active DAG however because you will be backing up from the passive copy that registry key is still enabled. I will look for some documentation on how to changed that if you'd like.

Zahid_Haseeb

I will look for some documentation on how to changed that if you'd like.

you mean howto take the backup from passive copy ? if yes then its very easy

""see the third snap from the below link""

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/exchange-server-2010-backup-databases-and-restore-r...

MilesVScott
Level 6
Certified

I was talking about disabling the consistancy checkpoint on a passive node. If you backup from the active node there is a check box in the policy where you can disable it but I believe that it only works for the active node.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Dear Mr. Zahid ,

we have only Microsoft Information Store, No DAG is here. so how we can select passive copy,we have only one DB i.e Microsoft Information store. still we are having 8 hrs to took the Full GRT Exchange backup, 

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@inn_kam - it took you more than 5 months to respond?? So, it cannot be THAT much of a problem right?

You only mentioned ' Exchange 2010' in your post. You never said if it was Standalone or DAG.

You also said:

actually our exchange server is on Remote site, i.e. approx 10 km far from our Production site

That seems to be your problem. Slow network speed.

Consider installing a media server at the remote site.

Else, do full backups over the weekend and incrementals during the week.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks Marriane , yes as i havenot seen posts since months, i was busy with customers. 

we are doing same , full backup once a week  and incre. daily.  

full GRT  incre, without GRT incr. as GRT not supported incr.

our network link  is 10MB .

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

our network link  is 10MB .

You are not going to see any fast backups on that link. 

Best to install media server at remote site.