HNC2

NBUmaster (NBU master Server 7.1)

HP LTO5 autoloader 2 drive

4 MBX db

DB1 active on MBX1 / Passive on MBX2

DB2 active on MBX2 / Passive on MBX1

DB3 active on MBX1 / Passive on MBX2

DB4 active on MBX2 / Passive on MBX1

Backup policy selection: DAG (active copy only)

We have STU Group consisting of both MBX server STU and set to prioritized as STU selection

When backup starts, bpresolver resolves active copies of MBX2 and STU of MBX1.  which causes my backups routed through LAN instead of SAN. Same scenario remains for passive copies too.

Have any one implemented Exchange DAG backup on SAN . kindly share points to look into.

7 REPLIES 7

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee
Is your san client up in your exchange boxes? If backups are going across the lan is because u cannot reach the pipes on the media servers and this can be because the ft medias pipes, here is one of my nites about this: NBU-6-ERR-PRO-SAN Client Troubleshooting  #Check PBX on the SAN client Bpclntcmd -get_pbx_port []  #Confirm is the box is configure has SAN Client Bpclntcmd -sanclient  #Log SAN Client Vxlogview -i 200 -o 200  #Check FT Media bus Speeds Vxlogview -i 199 -o 199 | grep InitializeSDC  #Check for Orphan Pipes on NBRB Nbrbutil -listOrphanedPipesnbrbutil Nbrbutil -releaseOrphanedPipes  #Check FT Media configs and List SAN Clientsnbftconfig -listactive [-C -verbose]nbftconfig -listtargetsnbftconfig -[lc]listclients -C [-verbose]nbftconfig -listclients -Me nbftconfig -rescanclient nbftconfig -getconfig

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

EMM setting MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE is supposed to assign job to local stu, but it sadly did not work for me. Not sure if anything has changed since 7.0.
My experience (if you want to see if this setting will work for you):

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/mustuselocaldrive-and-stug-70

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

omar

my interpretention went wrong to you. I don't have FT media Server and SAN client here. i've SAN media servers running on Exchange

my STUG failover policy is not working as expected.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanx

will give try on that..

for interim i'll end up with seperating two different policies with backup selection of listed active DBs on respective servers .(this would not help in case new Dbs added and gets backed up with directive  unless added manually)..

i presume SAN media servers are not capable to stream data from remote clients or other SAN media server.

this also makes  me confuse while looking at licensed feature Remote client ??.

Marianne
Level 6

I was also thinking of NBU Application Cluster (see NBU in Highly Available Environments Admin Guide ) but I'm not sure if it would be feasible in this kind of environment.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hi marianne... thanx for revert.. can't   get how NBU would not be able to handle  this load balancing of media server with application cluster

Marianne
Level 6

Hopefully someone else will be able to figure it out, SOON!

If you look at this discussion, the OP logged a call with Symantec Support and all the engineer could come up with was to backup Exh over the network to a media server...surprise

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/whats-agent-windows-2008-cluster