cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exchange backup restore

Amaan
Level 6

Hi,

Need help ASAP. Is it possible to restore exchange backup to the different servers local drive?

If yes how to do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If you have backed up public folder.edb on the production server with Exchange services shutdown using MS-Windows policy, you can do a redirected restore of the file.

If you have backed up Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\ using Exchange Policy type, you can ONLY restore it to a running Exhange Server.

You can only restore in the same format that the data was backed up. Think of an agent backup as the 'water in a bucket'. Agent backup backs up the contents (water), not the structure (bucket).  You need the bucket to be there in order to put the water back.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Exchange backups are API based so should be directed to an Exchange Server of the same exchange version - so you need at least a recovery storage group

Amaan
Level 6

Hi Mark,

Please give some more details.

Thanks!

Amaan
Level 6

Some more details. Server which has been backed up was server1 and policy type was Exchange. Destination is going to be server2 and been reqeusted to restore to F:\ drive of the server2.

In the BAR i chosed source as server1 and destiantion server2 and policy type exchange. from the next window i chosed the db for restore (screenshot is attached)

restore is for .edb file

When i am clicking action > restore it is asking this:

Replay log file options:

1. Rol-forward recovery;
  2. Point in time recovery;

and some other details.(screenshot is attached) Which one should i choose?

And in the genaral tab what should i choose.

Please help. i have never done exchange backup and restore before.

Amaan
Level 6

Some more details.

Only thing which they need is the public folder.edb file. they said that they can access to it from netapp tool (sorry i dont know the name) and access the mails inside it. so is it possible to restore the .edb file just as the file to F:\ drive of the another server.

Marianne
Level 6

If you have backed up public folder.edb on the production server with Exchange services shutdown using MS-Windows policy, you can do a redirected restore of the file.

If you have backed up Microsoft Exchange Public Folders:\ using Exchange Policy type, you can ONLY restore it to a running Exhange Server.

You can only restore in the same format that the data was backed up. Think of an agent backup as the 'water in a bucket'. Agent backup backs up the contents (water), not the structure (bucket).  You need the bucket to be there in order to put the water back.

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks so much Marianne.

If the server backed up was exchange 2007 is it possible to restore it to exchange 2010? should i create recovery storage group for this?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH45815 is written for the restore. can i use it to do my restore?

Marianne
Level 6

I am no Exchange expert, but as far as I know only Mailbox stores can be restored to Recovery Storage Group on the same server where it was backed up from. Restore to another server is normally a DR type restore. Again, to the same Exchange version.

The TN that you found is quite old. This one for 2007 seems more relevant, but again - it describes how to restore a Mailbox Store to a Recovery Storage group. http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH57346

I cannot find any NBU documentation relevant to what you want to do. Maybe ask or search the Microsoft/Exchange forums?  All NBU does during a restore is to fetch the data from backup and send it to the Exchange server - what happens on that side and if it will work depends on Exchange...

Amaan
Level 6

Thanks so much Marianne.